Chapter 14: An Intermission Digression

Ms. Vanilla and the new librarian were standing at the doors to the library chatting about who knows what with smiles on their faces. Meanwhile, Sonic was gradually giving up the desire to live.

Okay, maybe he was just being dramatic, but why did they need to have three book sources? He had already gathered enough material from his three online sources to compose five essays.

Just in case you thought maybe you missed a chapter, no, this is where I'm starting. It's called "in medias res", beginning a story or chapter of a story in the midst of the plot and therefore bypassing exposition. I use it a ton myself, so if you've been reading my stories for a while now you've witnessed it in my writing before, you just might not even know about it.

Sonic, instead of accepting his defeat and getting to work, set out to find someone to do his work for him like the worthless slug he was. Okay, so that was a little uncalled for. Anyway, that's when he found Amy in the nonfiction section.

There the pink hedgehog was, crouched in front of a bookshelf, half the height of the shelves on either side of it, in the middle of the room. She was thumbing through the books on the top shelf, most likely searching for her three sources, as well.

"Hey, Amy," Sonic said, attempting to sound friendly.

It looked like Amy jumped in surprise, but it was actually in excitement at the fact that her hero, Sonic, had spoken to her, especially in such an amicable manner. She spun around quickly with a "yeah?".

"This essay thing is kinda tough, huh?" Sonic remarked.

"Maybe, but I actually really enjoy the research part," she responded, looking thoughtful.

"Oh," Sonic said next, assuming a surprised expression. "Then maybe you'd want to assist me in finding my three sources?"

"Of course!" Sonic pumped his fist in triumph. "But after I find mine." His mood plunged back down into despair.

Amy turned back to the shelf and resumed her search. There was no way the Sonic the Hedgehog was going to stick around that long. His eyes once more traveled the room in search of someone to find his book source- sorry, look for his book sources with him.

Then, to his right, Sonic spotted his salvation.

The freestanding bookshelves in the center of the room made up the nonfiction section of the library. They were all about a foot and a half taller than Sonic, minus the row of shorter shelves between the rows where Amy was. There were two rows of the taller shelves on either side of these.

The olive-colored hardcover showed multiple signs of wear from its rounded and mashed corners to its yellowed and crumpled pages

The olive-colored hardcover showed multiple signs of wear from its rounded and mashed corners to its yellowed and crumpled pages. The cover didn't have any art or even the title etched into it. Turning to one of the first pages revealed the title and- well, it wasn't what he was looking for, so he reached out to put it back. However, he didn't get that chance.