Chapter 74: A New Brand of Worms

Click, click, click.

Hearts' mouse hand was cramping.

Lunch was proving to be rather boring as the art club spent it just drawing in an art program on her school-issued laptop. Of course, the art club was only Hearts today. She suspected that Infinite might've been sick yesterday; that was why he hadn't come. However, to be sick two days in a row, it had to be something more serious. Maybe he had been injured and had to spend some time at home recovering?

Eventually Hearts got tired of staring at her ugly art and stood up from the table

Eventually Hearts got tired of staring at her ugly art and stood up from the table. Maybe... Maybe Infinite wasn't sick or injured. Maybe he was just avoiding her. Hearts racked her mind for any sort of interaction they might have had that could've caused a rift to form between them.

Maybe it was the club name; maybe he didn't like it. Or, or, maybe she had been too forceful when getting him to collect things for her at the Ruined Mall. She could have easily gone and retrieved those things herself, but she had wanted to test Infinite's loyalty. Maybe she'd gone too far.

She might find him in the cafeteria, but... Hearts didn't really want to apologize to him. He was just one of thousands. She could afford to lose him. She sat back down and scooted back up to the table, the legs of the wooden chair screeching across the tile floor. Hearts then got to work trying to find some sort of game site that wasn't blocked by the school.

---

Scourge very gingerly closed the door behind him and was then consequently scared out of his wits by a cheerful "Hi!" resounding from behind him.

"H-H-Hi!" he responded before he knew who it was, spinning around.

It was Rosy. She was standing there with a binder stuffed full of loose paper under one arm and smiling brightly. "I've gotta put this binder in my locker first, but then do you want to walk to lunch together?"

"Lunch?" Scourge echoed. Well, that was where he had intended to go as that was where Honest was. "Sure," he agreed, nodding. He held out a hand. "Lead the way."

"Okay!" She started to walk off but then stopped suddenly and looked up at him with worry shining like a weak light in her green eyes. "Do you mind if I hold your hand?"

Scourge looked at her gloved hand as if she were holding a poisonous snake and offering to let him pet it. "No, um, go ahead." He held out his hand, and Rosy took it and started pulling him down the hallway.

Once at the cafeteria, Rosy led him to an empty table. "Uh, Rosy," Scourge said. Unable to tap her on the shoulder due to having to hold his tray with both hands, the moss-colored monarch settled for bumping her with his plastic tray. "Hey, I was going to sit at the table with Honest and the others. You wanna come sit with me there?"

"Sure," Rosy responded, looking very unsure. Scourge blinked. Was she nervous because she was afraid she wouldn't be accepted? That couldn't be it because she had sat there in the past, when she was considering joining the Honesty club and when Honest was considering letting her help with the Play.