Chapter 72: Moebius Castle Good Future

Dina might not regret this, but Scourge was afraid that he might.

He already missed one whole day of school, and now he was going to probably miss another whole day if he kept this up. How many worksheets would he need to make up? How many assignments had he missed? How many tests would he have to take during the time that he could be hanging out with Honest in Finitevus's room eating? But what if they never hung out like that again?? Were their days of laughing and chatting together over for good? Had this crime of Honest's done irreversible damage to the very fabric of their relationship?

Maybe her relationship with Finitevus had been damaged, but what about her and Scourge's? Maybe it had actually improved. He remembered Honest's violet eyes, filled with a faint light of hopelessness as she asked him if she was a jerk for getting rid of Infinite in the way that she did. He had told her that went way farther than just acting like a jerk, but then he had gone back, changed his mind, and said she was. That had been a lie. This was all a lie!

It didn't matter what he had said to Mephiles, Sonic, and Dina. Everything was a lie. "She's genuinely remorseful"? No, she wasn't. She felt inconvenienced by the fact that everyone was avoiding her, but she didn't regret what she did. But, maybe Honest shouldn't regret what she did. After all, it was Infinite. Sonic, Classic Sonic, and the Avatar had the same intent in Forces: to kill him and put an end to Eggman's latest world-threatening scheme. If they had carried it out, would they be treated the same way? No, Scourge thought. Everybody assumed Infinite was killed, and no one seemed to care.

"Honest did it just to see him suffer." A chill ran down Scourge's spine as he recounted Dina's theory. Dina said that Honest had told her her reason for deleting Infinite was to "pave the way for Frontiers", but that wasn't what Honest had told Scourge. Honest told him that she had done what she'd done in order to "prevent news of her criminal exploits from getting out." Why had she told Scourge and Dina two entirely different things? Things just weren't adding up.

Now, the great king of nothingness and empty space was heading towards the transporter with both Dina and Mephiles hot on his heels, on a mission to have Honest try to explain herself to them because Chaos knows Scourge has tried.

"Mephiles, you can go first," he told the being of darkness once they arrived. Scourge turned the lock to the combination, 4-12-5, and opened the door. He then pocketed the lock so he could put it back on once they returned.

The demon drifted into the metal box. "Your feet have to be touching the transporter in order for it to work," Scourge informed him. Instead of touching down, Mephiles promptly liquefied and dropped to the surface of the transporter with a gloop. Scourge pushed the button on the front with the tip of his shoe, and the black goo atop the small, round, silver platform disappeared in a flash of golden light.

"How long until we can go through?" Dina asked, noticing that the ring of light around the button had turned red.

"A minute or so," Scourge told her, glancing around to make sure no one was watching them. "Just until the Warp Ring that powers it resets."

Dina looked solemnly at the tile floor of the hallway. "I want to trust Honest, I really do," she told him. "I know Infinite wasn't a good guy, but it still feels wrong to me to... well, to kill him."

"Yeah," Scourge agreed, scratching the back of his head. "Things got pretty dark around here fast. For all the bad Infinite's done, I still considered the guy my friend, and I don't think he would've ever actually killed Shadow; he was way too much of a coward."

"But if Honest hadn't hexed the Ruby, he would have, wouldn't he?" Dina asked.

"M-Maybe," Scourge conceded. He guessed that Honest really had saved Shadow's life by doing what she did. Perhaps he could use that information to convince Shadow later.