Chapter 43: Into the Tunnel

As the group wordlessly climbed the hill, Honest was steadily thinking.

Last night, Scourge had described the city as "not exactly functional". What he had meant by that was that Hearts couldn't just get a hotel room, it was like the apocalypse or something. Gangs running rampant, most every building abandoned-- you know. However, Honest probably knew a little more about Hearts than Scourge. Honest had a whole other problem she was worried about that maybe the green king just didn't know about yet or else he might've been just as worried as she was. If Hearts was unleashed on the city, she might take control, unite all the gangs under her, turn the city into a kingdom of its own, and pose a major threat to the monarchy! ...Or dictatorship... the lines were blurry... Okay, maybe not, but still! After giving her twin behind her a timid glance, Honest turned back around and whispered pointedly to Scourge, "Whenever we get to the city, Hearts needs to stay with us all the way to the Castle no matter what."

"So, you've decided not to abandon her after all, huh?" Scourge whispered back instantly.

Honest messed around with the hem of her dress. "Well yeah, but it's also important that she doesn't wander off on her own because... well, we can't trust her. She could pose a potential threat to you in the future."

Scourge seemed to understand immediately. "Okay, yeah you're right. I can see that. I really can't see exile working on her a second time."

Honest turned back to face the hill ahead of them, uttering a silent sigh within her own head. Scourge didn't quite understand what she meant, but that was fine. What he understood didn't matter so much, you know? Leave it up to Honest to quash would-be usurpers. Regardless, it was more important that he focus on the bigger issues.

Speaking of bigger issues...

After overcoming the majestic sand dune, the vast cityscape spread out before them without any pop-in whatsoever, something one could only achieve in fanfictions... or the real world too, she guessed. Honest once came over a hill and saw a city IRL spread out like that. It must've been pre-rendered because she remembered it being instant. Anyway...

Scourge passed Honest without slowing down at all. "Come on, Honest. I wanna get to the Castle and settle this matter as soon as possible."

"Don't you want to stop for a moment to take in this wondrous view of the city?" Honest asked, annoyed.

Scourge looked up. It was breathtaking to see a city from such a height. He lifted his sunglasses. Honest folded her arms triumphantly. "See? You can't get this kind of view from that dingy stone balcony of yours."

That balcony. It was chapter 26. Scourge greatly disliked the inhabitants of Moebius, his home zone. Honest had just written out all that she already knew about how Scourge came to be in that chapter, but it had helped her to realize something new. She knew about that, and she knew the reasoning behind it. And, furthermore, she couldn't find anything about it that she disagreed with, but still... Ugh. If it had been anyone else, would she still be able to forgive and forget that sort of thing? Of course, she didn't forgive him for what he did afterwards. I mean, what kind of psychopath would be able to forgive someone for that?

Fiona.

Yeah, she did. But then again, was that really such a bad thing?

No, Honest decided. I'll give her just this one thing. Everyone deserves second chances, and that was exactly what Fiona gave him. Honest then realized something else. You know who didn't give Scourge a second chance? Sonic. Honest then imagined some readers' reactions to that thought and immediately despaired. No one would ever accept that, and they would label her as everything in the book under "terrible person" for saying such a thing. But you know what? It didn't matter. Their thinking was influenced by prejudice. Honest knew what was right and what was wrong, and it was right to protect those who protect you. If you just focus on the underlying situation, on the basics, even you, my faithful reader, will be able to see through the thick fog of bias clouding everybody's judgment, including your own.