Chapter 65: Shadow's Lie and Zonest's Crime

(Originally published on September 19th, 2023)

Ugh, Shadow and Zonest are doing such terrible things! They were totally not both forced to do so by Honest and thus aren't at any fault themselves.

---

Shadow's expression was anxious, like a mouse's expression when it found itself cornered by many cats. "Um..." He looked at everyone's faces one more time.

Scourge was on his left. He had been forced to let go of Shadow when Sonic had suddenly inserted himself into Shadow's personal space earlier. Now he was sitting there on his knees with a startled expression resembling Shadow's. He too had been caught off guard by Honest's unexpected request.

Meanwhile, Sonic was sitting right in front of Shadow with an eager expression. He wanted Shadow to spill the beans, but... he couldn't.

"You're-" He turned to Scourge and narrowed his eyes in anger. "You're teaching your terrible ways to Honest! Lunch is the most important meal of the day, and you're skipping it like it means nothing."

"No, sometimes we eat lunch!" Honest shot back. "We just happened to not be eating when you dropped by that one time."

Scourge finally relaxed, letting out the breath he had been holding. "Alright, Shadow. I'll make sure we get something to eat from now on," he promised.

Sonic looked to Scourge and then to Shadow with stars in his eyes. "Wait, does that mean it's settled, then??" Sonic leaned back and swiped one finger under his nose with a confident smirk. "One day Shadster will learn to articulate himself a little better so that he won't have to fight anymore."

"Maybe in another thirty-two years," Honest prophesied.

Sonic then looked to Scourge with what could almost be confused for kindly concern if not for the crooked grin which accompanied it. "So that's what this was about, huh? You've been mistreating Shadow's precious friend?"

Scourge looked nervous, having trouble meeting Sonic's challenging gaze. "She's precious to me, too. I admit that I haven't been taking care of her as well as I should have-"

"Quit talking about me like I'm some kind of helpless pet!" Honest snapped, cutting the moss-colored monarch off mid sentence. She was standing over the three of them still, looking rather peeved, her fists at her sides. She let out a deep breath and said in a softer tone, "I can feed myself. Shadow should be mad at me, not Scourge, but for some reason it's easier for him to lash out at Scourge instead." Honest rolled her eyes and turned to look around the deserted courtyard. "Scourge, let's meet up outside the cafeteria from now on, okay? That way we can get food together before we head out."

"Okay," Scourge agreed, standing up. As the four headed towards the main building, a common understanding between them that the school day was probably almost nearly over, the group's unofficial vow of silence was broken by a short laugh from Sonic as he walked beside Shadow. "You're so predictable."

"Am I not allowed to show concern for my friend?" Shadow asked, fuming.

Sonic shrugged, closing his eyes. "There you go again, being predictable. As always, you never know when I'm telling a joke." He huffed, pretending to be put-out. "Honest clearly doesn't want your concern or at least not as much as you're giving her. You're not her dad. Lay off."

Honest heard every word and widened her eyes in slight surprise. Was Sonic actually actively defending her? Shadow looked equally surprised. "O-Okay," he stammered. "I guess maybe I should be more hands-off..."