Chapter 18: Amy Gets Us Up to Speed

(Original Publishing Date was February 12th, 2022. I need to do this because Wattpad thinks the original publish date isn't as important as the date of the last update.)

Brush, brush, brush, brush, ptuh.

Shadow was brushing his teeth before school the next morning. As he turned the cool water knob (the only one that worked), water flowed into the sink but seemed to build up and didn't drain.

"Hm," he hummed questioningly. There was a ton of toothpaste built up around the drain so maybe that was what was plugging it up. Shadow shrugged; he'd deal with that after school.

Just then, a gurgling noise erupted from the toilet beside him, and black ooze started to bubble out of it. Shadow's fur bristled all over as the form of none other than Mephiles the Dark began to appear out of the muck. He stopped with just his head and torso poking up, his arms pinned at his sides.

 He stopped with just his head and torso poking up, his arms pinned at his sides

"Your sink was clogged," Mephiles explained flatly, his eyes void.

Honest walked past the open door to the bathroom without stopping. "Ah, hey, Mephy."

"What do you mean 'Ah, hey, Mephy'?!" Shadow questioned rather loudly, his fur bristling once again.

"Don't you think you're reacting too extremely?" Mephiles asked in the same flat tone.

"Says the person, creature, hell-spawn, who doesn't react strongly to anything!"

---

"Couldn't he have told you whatever he needed to tell you while he was standing in our toilet this morning?" Shadow asked Honest as they walked towards the front of the building where the principal's office was located. They had been summoned via a campus-wide message on the school's intercom system.

"My guess would have to be that he wants to speak to me in a secure location where he knows no one will interrupt or possibly eavesdrop." Honest shot Shadow a knowing grin, obviously referencing the moment in the chapter before last when Shadow had hidden and listened to her and Mephiles's conversation from a distance without their permission.

The door to the office was extremely deceiving for sure. Why? Because it was just a plain, normal door. From the outside, you'd never guess what lied within was a hellish room with writhing, black tentacles completely obscuring the floor, walls, and ceiling. Honest knocked a couple times on the dark brown wood and it opened with a click. Not opening it fully, the embodiment of darkness stepped out and reached out his hand as if offering to shake with her.

Honest of course accepted and shook his hand as that was something she often did with everyone she met, smiling a very pleased cat smile the whole time. She couldn't bring herself to mind the overpowering icy coldness of the demon's hand for whatever reason. It was obvious, at least to Shadow, that Mephiles had taken up that already-in-character habit simply to please Honest. The fact that was something within both of their characters unnerved Shadow, though. Yeah, being suspicious of Honest was something Mephiles wanted him to do, but maybe there was some truth in it- No. Of course not. This is part of Mephiles's trickery and Shadow would never fall for it.