Chapter 77: Threats, Welcomes, and Unexpected Offers

"I demand that you leave."

Immediately after the end of the last chapter, Honest had led Scourge down the hallway and had been confronted by Shadow. The black and red-striped hedgy obviously didn't trust the two of them to be completely alone together, (for some reason 🙄) and so once they had emerged, Shadow was already standing there and holding, not a friendly, hand-crafted invitation for Scourge to leave, but an MP5, aimed squarely at the green king's sunglasses-adorned head. Classic.

There Scourge was, quite literally caught in the crosshairs, feeling as if he were a mouse standing amidst a crowd of hungry cats. He definitely hadn't thought, when he awoke that morning, that he would be staring down the barrel of Shadow's MP5 before the sun set.

"Dang, we've been detected," Honest said, narrowing her eyes.

Swirls spun in Scourge's eyes. Why was she quoting Espio now of all times? It only made their situation seem more shady than it actually was, and it definitely wasn't helping to calm Shadow down.

As he stood there, caught in the crosshairs of Shadow's weapon, Scourge couldn't help but feel a rush of adrenaline. This was shaping up to be one heck of an afternoon. His eyes darted between the gun and Shadow's intense gaze, searching for any sign of hesitation or uncertainty. And then he realized... there was plenty. The submachine gun in his hands even visibly shook as he held it.

"Stripes, buddy, let's not be hasty here," Scourge said, stretching out his hands as a sign of peace and trying to defuse the tension. "I can leave if you really want me to."

But, of course, Honest just had to chime in and make things even more complicated.

"No, you can't," Honest spoke up from behind him. "I won't let you."

"The-" Shadow let out a sigh and lowered the gun. "The gun is a little overkill, I suppose. But this isn't my house, it's Snow's. Let it be up to her whether you can stay or not. She just got home."

A blurry shape morphed into the form of a rabbit, their golden fur catching the light. Soon, Snow, in her usual vertical-striped purple dress, stepped in front of Shadow, her thigh-high, light gray boots clacking on the wooden floor. She regarded Scourge with a friendly smile, her long, dark purple ears and auburn hair swinging and swaying as she tilted her head. "Did I hear my name?" she asked, purple eyes closing in what seemed like amusement. She then opened them and watched as Scourge gaped like a fish upon seeing her. "Who is this?"

Scourge was momentarily struck dumb by her sudden appearance

Scourge was momentarily struck dumb by her sudden appearance. "S-Scourge, I'm Scourge," he managed to stammer, his skills with smooth-talking temporarily on vacation. Snow blinked curiously at him.

She turned to look at Shadow. "He's not looking to move in, is he?"

Shadow's eyes narrowed a couple centimeters further. "Thank Chaos, no."

Scourge just stood there, sweating profusely as if he were suddenly coming down with some mysterious illness. The stripes of Snow's dress blurred in his peripheral vision. Honest's voice, sharp and laced with annoyance, sliced through his daze.