Chapter 19: Getting a Few More Things Straight

(Originally Published on April 2nd, 2022)

"You know how people say 'Man, do I wish I could do that' when talking about things like superpowers that allow them to clone things or fly or turn themselves invisible or something totally impossible that would make their lives incredibly easier?" Honest was saying, rubbing her sleepy eyes and leaning heavily on the desk between her and the creature of total darkness sitting as still as night on the other side. "Those things would sound great to anyone. My ability, though? There are hardly any upsides, and the drawbacks to my ability can be kind of scary. For instance, what if I disappeared into this world and couldn't return?" Although her overall mannerisms would lead one to believe she was tired out of her mind, probably missing out on her daily morning cat nap, the mountains of garbage mumbling she was able to deliver in what could only be described as a speech-esque format was proof she wasn't nearly as brain-dead at this early time in the morning as she would have Mephiles believe.

However, no matter how spiritedly she delivered this barrage of thoughts, Mephiles didn't respond at all. He simply stared a hollow, corpse-like stare.

(I lost the above image so I had to take a bad quality screenshot of a preview

(I lost the above image so I had to take a bad quality screenshot of a preview. Therefore, to make it better quality, I used an AI upscaler.)

"Hey, Meph?" He just shifted his eyes upward, which made Honest realize that he hadn't been looking her in the face this whole time. "Is there something you're able to do without much thought that others write off as impossible?"

"What kind of question is that?" Mephiles asked, sounding annoyed. "How am I supposed to answer that? Can't I ask you some questions? Questions that actually make sense."

"Oh, I didn't realize what I've been doing. I'm sorry," Honest apologized, blinking. She laughed and stepped back from the desk, her fingers gripping the edge. "Here I am, attempting to be Honest with you about everything when all you want is to be Honest with me."

"Our time is limited, you know," he told her, staring at Honest fiercely. "Not so much this before-school period which can be extended as long as you want with your Author powers, but more so the readers' attention spans. Not to diss your audience or anything. They are the lengths of average human attention spans, that is to say very short."

"You don't really need to consider the readers, there aren't enough of them for it to really matter," Honest sighed. "But go on."

"My goal is to end Sonic's life. If I were to... theoretically... come close to achieving that goal, would you stop me?" the demon asked, clutching his fist dramatically.

Honest's eyes grew immediately. "Hey! How does that question make any more sense than mine?!"

"It makes perfect sense. Are you perhaps saying it's an unfair question to ask?" The personification of the absence of light seemed to lose his annoyed tone and relax some in his seat again, as if making Honest feel less comfortable caused him to feel more comfortable.