Chapter 15: The Death of Sonic the Hedgehog Part 3

One with the darkness, Rouge made her way along the catwalks above the stage

One with the darkness, Rouge made her way along the catwalks above the stage. Despite this being merely a school theater, the place was clearly equipped for even professional plays to be performed what with all the spotlights and other miscellaneous equipment hanging up there. It would've probably tripped up any less skillful spy, the bat thought.

Curtains hung everywhere, creating a maze of sorts onstage. Rouge found the captured hedgehog lying face down on the wooden floor in a cylindrical cage about three to four feet in diameter. Did he usually sleep like that? That seemed really uncomfortable. However, Rouge tended to sleep upside down when out on a mission for GUN, so she couldn't actually say anything.

Rouge was currently equipped with Honest's camera which she had brought with them in a black and red bag. Honest regularly joked that the only reason she had joined the photography club her second year was so she could carry a camera around campus and not appear suspicious. However, Rouge had to do a retake once she found this particular camera was to be used in a regular espionage mission. It was probably just a funny coincidence, but still.

I should take a photo of Sonic real quick so that Honest and Shadow can know he's all right, Rouge thought. Now would be the time to take it seeing as though Mephiles seems to be out of the room right now. There was a round, wooden stool sitting in the middle of the stage across from the cage Sonic was lying in. Perhaps that was where Mephiles had been sitting while keeping an eye on his prisoner.

Rouge quietly turned off the camera's flash to be extra careful Mephiles didn't somehow see it and become alerted to her presence. Rouge hovered down in front of Sonic's cage and aimed her camera. Although she tried to be quiet by slowly pressing down the capture button, the sound of the lens snapping shut was rather loud and caused Sonic to wake up and lift his head. Upon seeing Rouge, he let out a quiet "wha?".

"Sorry, Blue. We're gonna get you out of here," Rouge assured him.

"Ahem. Did you hear that?"

Hearing Sonic's kidnapper's voice, Rouge quickly flew back up to the catwalk above the stage, disappearing once again. That was a close one.

"No, I was sleeping," Sonic told him, wiping his eyes. Whether it was a deliberate action to get Mephiles to disregard the noise or just Sonic wiping the tiredness from his eyes as he had actually been sleeping just then, Mephiles bought it and just said, "Strange. It sounded like a camera flash."

Once the demon had dismissed it as a security camera and left again, Rouge heard soft laughter coming from the cylindrical cage below her.

"Rouge?" Sonic asked, sounding as mischievous as all get-out.

Oh, Sonic. Rouge floated back down and landed firmly on the ground in front of the cage. "Are you ready to get out of here?" she asked.

"Sure. Just let me get out of this cage and there's a door in the back," Sonic told her, reaching a hand underneath the front of the cage and lifting the whole thing up, slipping under it with ease and setting it back down behind him. The fact that it was so easy to escape worried Rouge.