Chapter 80: Taking a Plunge

After a collection of muffled thumps and the squeaking of aged hinges on an opening door, the lights flicked on to reveal the familiar form of this story's writer standing in the doorway. She crept to the sink and stood on the tips of her toes to peer at herself in the mirror. She squinted her violet-colored eyes to look at her reflection as if scrutinizing her appearance before shooting out a hand and grabbing her blue and white toothbrush firmly.

While she brushed and scrubbed, the faint smell of lavender leaking from the bathroom closet came to be replaced by the strong smell of mint. After she was content with the state of her teeth, Honest rinsed and spat far too many times than was necessary and dropped her toothbrush, rather unceremoniously, back into the cup to the left of the facet. She then swished some mouthwash around her mouth. Upon spitting it out, Honest held her mouth open for a bit and fanned her tongue. Apparently, the mint was a little too strong. Perhaps she should have tried diluting it with some water.

Honest intended to leave the bathroom next, but she stopped when she noticed an orange hairbrush sitting next to the sink. Her eyes lit up instantly, stars rotating within their purple-y depths.

So... yeah. She brushed her hair.

She brushed her hair? She brushed her teeth. She must be going to bed, right? Why would someone brush their hair before bed? What's the point? It would just get messed up again overnight, wouldn't it?

"Shadow?" The Ultimate Bookworm looked up from the totally engrossing book he was reading to see Snow peering down at him. She was wearing a dark purple nightgown patterned with gray roses. Her ears swayed as she watched him with curious eyes. "Did you see where our guest went?"

"You mean Scourge?" Shadow asked, requesting confirmation as if there were any possible way he could have been confused as to who Snow was referring to. Still, Snow was patient.

"Yes. Has he gone to bed?"

Shadow rolled his eyes and turned his attention back to his book. "Well, he was just complaining about being deadly tired."

Snow turned towards the stairs and assumed a determined frown.

Scourge yawned as he passed door after door in the narrow hallway. Which room was his again? He thought back to earlier that afternoon. What had Snow said? Oh, right. It was between Silver's and-

"Honest?!" Scourge exclaimed, startled by the blonde cat's sudden appearance as she flung herself at him. Just as suddenly, Snow appeared at the top of the stairs and made her way towards them.

The red-headed bunny held a pair of fluffy slippers out to him. "Here you go," she chirped, her voice laced with a sweetness that made Scourge raise an eyebrow. "I figured you wouldn't have brought your own."

Scourge eyed the slippers warily. They looked soft, but... He glanced down at Honest, who was holding onto him tightly as if afraid Snow would rip him away from her.

"Nah, I'm good," Scourge scoffed, crossing his arms. "I wouldn't want to put a strain on your hospitality."

"Oh, it's no problem at all," Snow assured him, clutching the slippers to her side with one arm and reaching out with the other. "Speaking of putting a strain on things, you look awfully tense. Are you sure there isn't something else I could do to help you-"

"Scourge is a r*pist," Honest suddenly exclaimed. Snow froze, her hand still extended to the air. She recoiled, her flirtatious facade crumbling. Fear flickered in her violet eyes as she glanced back and forth between Honest and Scourge. With a squeak, Snow turned and bolted down the stairs, taking the slippers with her.

The air hung heavy in the hallway. Scourge, speechless for a moment, finally ripped his gaze away from the retreating form of Snow. He stared down at the blonde cat clinging to him, her grip unrelenting.