1:17

VOTE & COMMENT

VOTE & COMMENT

ACT 1

PAWNS & DICTATORS

PAWNS & DICTATORS

"The small one can become the big one,"
- Queen of Katwe

If you asked Cesar what chess piece that Mikhail would best represent many would suspect the king, and they were right. The other question was which one was the most powerful, many presumed the queen, a false accusation of course. Yes, the queen was granted the most options on the board and inherited the most dominant force in the battleground, but Cesar always believed it was just a sheep dressed in a wolf's clothing, where in exchange, the king was merely a wolf sheep's clothing.

The aim of chess was to find the safest square for the time being but by eliminating the other person's king or 'check' in chess terms. Cesar always believed that it was more than the game itself, it was life.

Everyone went out of their way, perhaps their life as well without questioning to protect the king no matter the cost. A queen may be powerful, but her aim was to still protect the king, it went for all the rest of the ranks as well. As long the king was safe, it was out of the question that she could be sacrificed at any moment.

As long the king lived.

"I see your tactics have changed," Mikhail smirked as his head leaned in support of his right hand as he examined the board, looking at his friend from the other side of the marble and wooden butterfly table as Mikhail took a sip of his tea.

Cesar only sighed as he looked outside at the arch window beside that presided around the hallway of the circular walkway on the second level that overlooked the endless plains of the manor. Mikhail had always had tea here, same place and same tea. His vision then returned to the chessboard as he moved his rook to complete the castle that surrounded his king.

Not that it would make a difference in winning, he found glory if he could just make the game last longer rather than a swift kill against chess with Mikhail.