Chapter 4

The ding of Dream's microwave brought him back to the present day. He returned everything back into the box, and placed it in the closet, before grabbing his food from the microwave, and sitting back on his couch to eat.

After their parents' murder, Fruitberries and Illumina took them both to Stellar Academy. Another project of the the UN, with a goal to train up kids to become the next generation of the special forces, so that the project would stay alive.

There they met Sapnap, who was two years younger than Dream, and was plucked from an orphanage that had burned down.

The three of them grew really close and made many other friends.

After training for 8 years under Fruitberries and Illumina, they were given code names and assigned to different branches.

George left for the UK branch while Dream and Sapnap worked for the US, but they stayed in touch and would often visit each other.

As the years flew by Dream started to develop feelings for George. After listening to Sapnap nagging for weeks, telling him to stop being a coward, confess, and ask George to be his boyfriend, he finally did... on a video call.

"To- Tomorrow..." George stuttered, out trying to hid his blushing cheeks with his hands.

"What?" Dream asked confused, but also amused at seeing George's blushing face.

"I want to think it over, but not right now. We're working on a very big case and I need to focus, but I'll give you my answer tomorrow night," George said still looking very flustered.

Dream smiled, "Okay I'll wait until then, good luck with your mission."

George nodded and they said their goodbyes.

The next morning Dream was all smiles, and this did not go unnoticed by Sapnap, who wouldn't stop nagging the blonde to tell him why he was in such a good mood.

When Dream finally told him, Sapnap started jumping around and shouting, "Let's go!"

Dream wheezed at his friend's reaction, and when Sapnap finally cooled down, the raven head wrapped an arm around his friend, giving the blonde a side hug.

"So when's the wedding?" Sapnap asked with a playful smirk.

"He hasn't even agreed to be my boyfriend yet..." Dream reminded.

"Don't worry," Sapnap stated giving him a pat on the back. "He will."

But Dream never got his response.

They both went out to get lunch, since Sapnap insisted that they celebrate and offered to pay for everything.

Dream snapped a silly picture of them and sent it to George. When they arrived back at the branch they found everyone huddled around the TV watching the news.

"What's going on?" Sapnap asked Karl.

"Some of our guys over at the UK branch were chasing after a terrorist, who turned out to be a suicide bomber. The bomb wiped out most of them, and the rest were seriously injured."

Dream felt his knees grow weak and a pang in his chest.

The UK branch? Didn't George say he was working on some big case...it couldn't be?

Dream looked over at Sapnap who had the same look of terror in his eyes.

They pushed their way to the front just in time for the reporter to announce the casualties. Dream felt his blood grow cold and everything around him go silent. There on the screen was George's name and picture.

Sapnap was in a similar frozen stated, that is until Karl shook him and asked if he was OK. He then looked over at Dream, and saw Philza trying to snap him back to reality.

Dream shut down that day, but Sapnap made sure to visit him everyday to bring him food, or just sit with him for hours as they both cried and mourned the lost of their friend.

When Dream finally returned to work, he was nothing more than a shell of himself. He refused to go out in the field, and just sat at a desk pushing papers around. Other times he would spend all day in the training room.

Though Dream knew there was nothing he could have done to save George, he couldn't help but feel guilty.

George was a smart guy, he should have easily escaped an explosion. After all they were trained to think fast in emergency situations.

Was it because Dream's sudden confession distracted him? Was he that bothered with it that he couldn't focus?

Dream felt tears fall from his eyes and onto his empty plate.

"George..." He choked out through his tears.

Was he cursed to have everything he loved taken away from him?

It was then that a memory resurfaced.

It was their first night at the Academy, he and George had sneaked out to go star gazing on the roof.

"Let's make a promise right here and now." 10 year old George said, holding out his pinky finger.

"Let's train hard Dream, let's become strong enough to protect those around us so that no one has to experience what we went through."

Dream reached out his pinky and curled it around George's.

"I promise," he had declared with a grin.

Dream wiped the tears from his eyes, "I promised."