Chapter 45: Confessions and Medical Attention

'Anymore coming?' I asked my assistant medical nin - a woman in her early twenties who was asigned to help me out with healing those injured from war. Her name was Fuukari.

She smiled at me and shook her head. 'No. I guess that was all.'

I sighed in relief, slumping into a chair. I tore off my rubber gloves, feeling the cool wind hit my sweaty palms. Finally.

'You look drained, Makoto-san.' Fuukari told me, casting a weary smile. 'You should go get some sleep. I doubt anyone else is coming.'

I shook my head. 'It's fine. You go on and catch up on your sleep. I'll keep the equipments.'

'No, no, no!' Fuukari shook her head, her eyes wide. 'You're the one who's been doing the healing! I've just been passing you the equipments -'

'I'm fine, Fuukari-san.' I insisted, smiling. 'Really. I'll clear up all of this in a jiffy. Go get some sleep first.'

'Are you sure?'

I nodded, flashing her a convincing smile.

'All right.' she said, taking off her coat. 'Well, I guess I'll see you in the morning.'

'Good night,' I said as she left the tent.

I ran a hand through my hair, sighing deeply. We've lost so many people ever since war started and the number of people I had to heal were uncountable. And that's just who I healed. Not even counting the others who came and got healed by the other medic nins.

I guess we've all been extremely busy. I haven't even talked to Sakura at all ever since war begun and her tent was right next to mine.

I felt the pit of my stomach bubble with anxiety. How were my parents? Were they safe? What about my brothers? I don't know what I'd do I lost any of them ...

'Makoto?'

I jolted in my seat.

'Sorry.' Rokuro smiled sheepishly as he entered the tent.

'Hey,' I greeted. My eyes flickered to the gauze around his left thigh. 'How's your thigh?'

'Better,' he smiled, glancing at his own thigh. 'Thanks for fixing me up.'

'It's fine. Don't mention it.' I said with a wave of my hand. 'So, what are you doing here?'

'Yeah ... Um,' he rubbed the back of his neck, looking rather awkward. 'Can I talk to you for a minute?'

'Aren't you talking to me now?' I said, amused.

I was surprised to his face and ears turn pink.

'Uh ... Well, yeah.'

I raised an eyebrow at him. 'What's up?'

'Well, you see - I - uh ... Yeah.'

I blinked at him before laughing. 'How am I suppose to make sense of that?'

I instantly felt bad after saying that because he blushed a thousand shades of red.

'I like you, Makoto!' he blurted out, taking a step towards me and looking directly at me.

'What?' I let out, barely audible.

'I really, really like you.' he said, shutting his eyes tightly. 'I've liked you ever since we sparred during the Chuunin exams and ... and ... I still do -

'Rokuro-san.'

Just as he opened his eyes, I wrapped my arms around him. I felt him tense beneath my touch.

'Rokuro-san you're a lovely guy. I really mean it and I'm sure many girls have got their eyes on you but -'

I let go of him. 'I'm in love with someone else.'

The guilt punched me straight in the gut when I saw the look on his face.

'Oh ...' he said, looking downcast.

'I'm really sorry, Rokuro -'

'It's fine.' he said, smiling sadly. 'You don't have to apologise. It's not like it's your fault or anything.'

'How is it not my fault -'

'Hey,' he said, putting a hand on my shoulder. 'It's fine. Thanks for being honest with me. But, the person you like ... is that person from the Leaf?'

I chewed on my bottom lip. 'I ... I guess so ...'

He was from leaf, I thought bitterly.

He nodded, diverting his eyes from me and staring down at his feet. 'I see ...' his eyes shifted to mine. 'Well, have you told him how you felt?'

My stomach twisted and I tasted bile in my mouth. 'Yes, I have.' my voice came out shaky. 'But that thick skull of his doesn't seem to be able to comprehend my words.'

'Oh ...'

'Rokuro-san,' I wondered whether I should say the next few words. I said it. 'Do you know how to get over someone?'

'I'm sorry, Makoto.' he said, a pained smile on his lips. 'But I think it's something the two of us have to find out how ourselves. G'night, Makoto.'

And just like that, he left the tent with me feeling extremely guilty and disgusted at myself for still having feelings for a prick like Sasuke.

I buried my head in my hands, cursing at the tears forming in my eyes. Why was it so easy to cry over him but so hard to get over him? Why did I still hold feelings for someone who's just been toying around with me?

Why did I still want him?

I heard footsteps outside my tent. I stiffened. Someone's injured?

It sounded more like one person's footsteps. It sounded like two. There was another sound being heard. Sounded like someone was dragging their feet. Three people, I thought. Two walking normally and the third is probably injured.

I got up slowly, brushing the back of my hand against my eyes.

When the people finally entered the tent, it revealed three people.

It took me a while to realise who they were. I wasn't ready for it.

Okaasan was standing on the left, with bloodshot eyes and tear-stained cheeks. On the right was Masoto, his eyebrows furrowed and to my surprise, his eyes were slightly red.

And in the middle, with his arms swung over them and head hanging, his right ear completely gone, and the right side of his body  coated in so much blood including his face that I had a hard time recognizing who it was.

I felt my throat swell and all the blood drain from my face.

There was Nii-san, barely,conscious. Turning deathly pale.

[AUTHOR'S NOTE]

Yeah hi guys. Sorry for the short and rather boring chapter as well as the absence of Sasuke. Sasuke will soon appear but right now, I wanted to focus on Makoto as an individual and how she copes with her feelings towards Sasuke and also, something else. So, just a little spoiler, a lot of shit is gonna happen during the war that'll affect Makoto pretty much a lot. Just a little heads up.

Also, I'm sorry for not updating as often as before but I have been extremely busy and I've just been getting busier and busier. Still, thanks so much for reading~