Chapter 33: Team Seven Reunites

The new Team seven was currently running around Orochimaru's hideout. We were trying to find Sasuke when we split up, and now, we found out that Sai's mission was to kill anyone who was a threat to Konoha. Apparently, Sasuke was included.

So, Yamato, Naruto, Sakura and I were finding Sai as well as Sasuke when a huge explosion sounded, making the ground and walls rumble in protest. I stumbled, falling on one knee.

'What was that?' said Naruto, eyebrows furrowed.

'Sai's chakra.' Yamato answered, looking straight ahead.

We ran once again, turning around several corners before we found a long hallway with light shining at the end. It appeared to be the exit now.

I narrowed my eyes and spotted Sai. His head was tilted upwards as though was staring at something.

'Found him.' said Sakura, and without waiting for any of us, she sprinted towards him.

None of us bothered to stop her.

Once she reached Sai, she punched him square in the jaw before grabbing him by the neck, yelling angrily.

All of a sudden, I saw her tense before she slowly looked up. Her eyes widened in shock as she said something which was inaudible from where I stood.

No way ... Could it be?

Naruto and I exchanged looks and without speaking, we knew exactly what the other was trying to say.

At the same time, the two of us broke into a run, leaving Yamato closely behind.

Once I stepped outside, I was immediately blinded by the light, making me click my tongue and flinch. However, I managed to see the silhouette of a person who stood above us, on what now looked like a cliff.

Everything was silent.

Squinting through the sun's rays, when my eyes finally manage to see the person properly, my heart stopped.

Feeling as though bucket full of ice had cascaded down my stomach, I let out a small gasp. 'S - Sasu - ke?'

I felt his eyes land on me and finally getting a good look of his eyes, I felt an ache in my heart. They were dark. Blank. Held no emotion at all. It was as though nothing mattered to him. He raised his eyebrows as though to ask 'Who the hell are you?'

My heart sank. He couldn't recognize me ? I wiped my sweaty palms against my shirt as his eyes trailed over to something near my head and it lingered there for a while until recognition flashed through his eyes.

'Makoto? So you're here too.' He finally spoke. Hearing my name escape his lips sent shivers down my spine. I missed it. How much I missed ...

I turned my head slightly to see what he was looking at which helped him recognize me; the ribbon on my metal rod which was strapped to my back.

I see ... He remembered me by my ribbon. I suddenly remembered the incident when were sparring and he cut my ribbon into half and asked whether he owed me a new one.

I clenched my fists. Now wasn't the time to think of that!

However, seeing him there, in front of me ... I just wanted to punch him hard and knock some sense into him for leaving. But at the same time, I wanted nothing more than to run up to him and throw my arms around him. To bury my face in the crook of his neck and never let go. I shifted my feet awkwardly, bringing myself back to reality. I couldn't do either of those things right now and I knew it.

'I assume Kakashi's with you as well.' said Sasuke, his eyes looking lifeless.

'Sorry.' said Yamato, coming up to stand between me and Naruto. 'I'm not Kakashi-san. I'm here in his place. And the new Team Kakashi is taking you back to Konoha.'