Chapter 50: Assumptions

I was currently making my way to the BBQ restaurant feeling slightly uneasy as soon as I stepped out of my house.

Sasuke was going to be there. There was a high possibility that we'd have to exchange a word or so and I was afraid that I'd make it obvious to the others that there was something going on between us (of course, Naruto, Shikamaru and maybe even Sai already knew so they didn't count).

I shook my head slightly, trying the get rid of the thought.

The next thing I knew, I turned around a corner only to have someone collide into me. The impact threw me off my balance completely and leading me to fall on my back, my head hitting the hard, rocky ground.

'What?' I said, dazed and seeing stars. 'What happened? What did I do wrong?'

'I'm so sorry! I wasn't looking! I'm so - Makoto?'

'What?' I propped up on my elbows, staring at the person over me. I blinked at him in surprise. 'Eh? Rokuro-san?'

He broke into a grin and grabbed my hand, pulling me up to my feet gently.

'Sorry about that, I should've watched where I was going.' he scratched the back of his head.

'It's fine - I didn't either.' I said before glancing at his large hand still around mine. 'Uh ... You 're hand ...'

'What?' his eyes widened as soon as he saw our joined hands. His hand left mine quickly and the tips of his ears turned bright red. 'I'm sorry! I - I wasn't thinking straight -'

I smiled, feeling amused. 'Hey, it's fine. Don't worry about it.' I said, shrugging before raising a curious eyebrow. 'What are you doing in Konoha, by the way?'

'I had to deliver a scroll to the Hokage from the Raikage.'

'You came here alone?' I asked, raising an eyebrow.

He laughed. 'No, I came with a friend. He's currently resting at an inn. I just wanted to have a look around Konoha.' he said, smiling. I'm so glad I bumped into you!' his smile was replaced with a look of worry and guilt. 'Er - I mean, of course not literally. I just meant -'

I burst into laughter. 'What's - gotten - you - so - fidgety - and -paranoid?' I struggled to speak between fits of laughter.

He entire face turned a light shade of pink and he avoided my eyes. 'It's because I'm talking to you after so long ...' he mumbled. 'And I'm suddenly reminded of my feelings for you ...'

I stopped laughing and stared at him guilty. My stomach turned uncomfortably.

'Aren't you ... over me?' I asked cautiously, trying to catch his eyes - which were looking anywhere but my own.

He sighed, running a hand through his hair.

'Can we talk about this somewhere else?' he requested. 'It's weird standing in the middle of the street and talking.'

'What?' I blinked, surprised by his attempt to avoid my question. 'Oh, yeah. No problem. Come on.'

Without thinking, I grabbed his hand and pulled him over to a park bench.

I let go of his hand as he sat down next to me.

He shifted his feet awkwardly, his cheeks red. 'Could we ... Talk about something else asides from feelings? It's hard getting over you without talking about it.'

'Oh ... Right.'

***

In the end, the two of us got lost in our own conversation. I told him all the places he should visit in Konoha however, I couldn't help but feel like I was forgetting something as I spoke.