Chapter 17: The Forest of Death

'Say, Makoto.' Naruto said, rubbing his chin. 'I didn't know you owned a bean business.'

I mentally face-palmed myself while I heard Sasuke call Naruto an idiot under his breath.

'Naruto, I don't.' I said, giving him an awkward smile, dragging him towards room 301 where Kakashi sensei was waiting for us.

'I see,' he said. 'So Sakura and Makoto came as well. You can officially register for the Chuunin exam.'

I raised an eyebrow. 'What do you mean by that?'

'To tell you the truth, this exam can only be taken in teams of three or in some cases, four.' he told us, making us look at him confusion.

'But you said we could decide if we wanted to take it or not.' said Sakura.

'Yeah, I lied.' he said simply. 'I f I said that, Sasuke and Naruto would force you and Makoto to take it. Even if you didn't want to take the exam, if Sasuke asked you, you would try to take the exam anyway - same goes for Makoto.'

'Huh?' I blinked. 'Why would I listen to Sas -?'

'For you, it would be Naruto, not Sasuke.' Sensei told me before smiling at us. 'I'm proud of you four. You're my team.'

'Alright!' Naruto yelled excitedly. 'Let's go!'

And so, the four of us opened the door behind Kakashi sensei and entered the room.

My eyes widened as soon as we stepped into the room. It was completely packed with people - both adults and children.

I gulped nervously when all of them turned to us, glaring. I could see Sakura shaking slightly. So I'm not the only one that's scared, huh?

'Sasuke-kun!' I heard a familiar voice call. 'You're late!'

I turned to look and sure enough, it was Ino. She threw her arms around Sasuke's neck, a faint blush on her cheeks. I bit my bottom lip, finding his face tortured and annoyed face entertaining.

Sakura snapped out of her trance and growled. 'Get away from Sasuke-kun! You Ino-pig!'

'Oh my, it's you, Sakura.' Ino feigned surprise. 'Your forehead is wide and you're still ugly ... as usual.'

'What did you say?' Sakura snarled at her while Ino reacted by sticking her tongue out at her.

I sighed as my shoulders slumped. They're at it again ...

'What, are you four going to take this troublesome exam, too?'

I looked up and broke into a grin, seeing Shikamaru with his usual bored look and Choji eating chips.

'Hey -' I raised up a hand and smiled at them but Naruto cut me off.

'Hey, it's the idiot trio.'

Shikamaru glared at him. 'Stop calling us that! How annoying ...'

I pinched the bridge of my nose. Naruto, you just had to insult them. Well, good to know I'm in a team who clearly can't get along with other teams. I see a bright future ahead of us. Thanks, guys - no, really.

'Yeah! Found you all!' another familiar (cocky) voice said. Oh, I know that voice. And if Naruto had already gotten into a fight with Shikamaru, it's going to get worse with this guy.

Sure enough, it was Kiba. Together with his teammates - Shino and Hinata ... er, I don't really know those two that well unlike Kiba.
'What? So you three made it to? Geez ..' said Shikamaru, looking annoyed.

*

{ Time skip because I don't want to put in the entire Chuunin exam from the beginning to end or I'll probably bore you guys}