Chapter 16:Sasuke fights against a guy with a green jumpsuit

'Sakura-chan! You're late ...'

'Sorry,' she said, a small blush on her cheeks.

I raised an eyebrow at her. From the way she was acting strange, I could tell she was still unsure about joining the Chuunin exams. I wanted to ask her whether she was really willing to join but then I decided not to. She might take it the wrong way and get the idea that I thought she wasn't good enough. Besides: making people feel bad about themselves is Sasuke's job.

When we entered the academy, we walked up to room 301, just in time to witness a guy in a dark green jumpsuit being thrown backwards by two guys who appeared to be guarding room 301. All three looked about the same as us, maybe a year or so younger. The two guys guarding door looked pretty normal, one with his forehead protector worn on like a bandana while the other had several plasters on his face (oh come on, it's not that weird! I've seen weirder) but the guy in the dark green jumpsuit looked ... Well, special. He had big eyes and thick eyebrows with a bowl haircut. What a peculiar taste in style. My gut was telling me that there was something off about this place. Something just didn't seem right. But I chose to shrug it off. Probably just my imagination.

'You're trying to take the Chuunin exams with that level?' the guy with the forehead protector like a bandana sneered. 'Maybe you should just quit.'

'Please let us through,' pleaded a girl who had her hair in two buns. She walked towards the two guys but was thrown back as well. 'How cruel ...'

'What did you say?' The guy with the bandages said. 'Listen up, we're being nice to you. The Chuunin exam is extremely difficult.'

'We've seen those who gave up on becoming a ninja or because seriously injured taking this exam.' The other guy said, looking slightly smug. 'A Chuunin is a commander of a squad. It's the commander's responsibility for failing any missions and the death of their subordinates. What's wrong with sifting out those who aren't going to pass anyways?'

'That's a sound argument, but I will pass.' Sasuke said coolly, walking towards them while Naruto, Sakura and I followed from behind. 'And undo this field you've created using an illusion technique. I have to get to the third floor.'

My eyes widened slightly. So that's why I had such a strange feeling.

'I want to go to the third floor,' Sasuke told them smugly.

'Oh? You noticed?' the one with the bandages said, frowning.

'Sakura, how about you?' Sasuke said, turning his head towards her. 'You should've noticed first.'

'What?' She looked up, surprised.

'Your analyzation skills are illusionary techniques are the best in our squad.' He told her.

'Sasuke-kun ...'

I rolled my eyes mentally. That girl didn't notice anything! She was too busy with her own thoughts! Wait, why was I getting so worked up about this?

Sakura's stunned look turned to a confident one. 'Of course, I've noticed it already.'

Liar. You just noticed it.

'Because this is the second floor,' she continued.

Suddenly, the room appeared to be spinning around until the sign that showed 301 turned to 201.

'You're pretty good.' The guy with tha bandages said, looking rather impressed. 'But just being able to detect it isn't enough ...'

In a blink of an eye, he aimed a kick and Sasuke, who thankfully had fast reflexes and was about to kick him back but their legs were caught by the guy in the green jumpsuit.