Chapter 48: Conflicted

'Now!'

That was our signal. Everyone charged towards the Ten-tails that was currently held down by the First Hokage. I ran along team seven, pushing away the thought that Sasuke could be tricking every single one of us. We could worry about him later. 

As I go closer to the beast, I noticed several huge bumps appearing on the surface of its skin. I looked at it in horror as those bumps morphed into miniature monsters. I see - it's trying to keep us away from the real body. The monsters were bigger than us but not too big. Adrenaline made my heart quicken. 

'Don't waver!' Naruto yelled from somewhere in the mass of shinobi, all getting ready to fight as they let out their battle cry. 

One miniature monster swung an arm that was shaped like a huge sword at me and I  managed to block it with my rod before swinging it around and hitting the monster across its abdomen. Raising my leg, my leg shot out and connected with the monster's chest. I smirked as the monster flew backwards.

'Makoto, behind you!' I heard Kiba yell.

I gasped slightly, turning around to see a group of them heading towards me. Pulling out a scroll and spreading it towards the direction of the monsters. I smirked, seeing chains spring out of the scroll before going around the the group of monsters and tying them all together tightly. That'll keep them still. 

I felt a presence behind me and I pulled out a kunai before turning around, seeing one of the monsters right behind me. I raised the kunai before diving it straight into the monster's face before pulling out the kunai and punching it in gut, watching it fall backwards, letting out an inhumane sound.

I was soaked in my own sweat, when I realized more monsters kept coming. Not only that, they were no longer as small as before. In fact, they were at least twice as tall and thrice as wide as the previous ones. 

I felt a hard blow land at the back of head and I fell on all fours. I cursed, trying to get up and just as I looked up, I was met with the most horrifying sight. 

A monster, with a spear-hand, diving it through someone's back. Okaasan's back. Her eyes widened as the tip of the spear appeared through her chest. Her back stiffened and crimson appeared from around the spear and spread through her entire shirt. The spear disappeared from her chest and her knees buckled before she fell. She went limp. Her eyes glassy. 

'No ...' I breathed, feeling the my head spin. My knees felt weak as I took in what I witnessed. I screamed. I thought I screamed. I opened my mouth, I felt my throat rip. But I heard nothing. I didn't hear myself, I didn't hear anyone else. I didn't hear anything else. My eyes went mistyas I tried to run towards Okaasan's body but a pair of strong arms wrapped around me, restricting me.

'LET ME GO!' I screamed, my throat burning as I tried to wriggle out of the person's grasp. My legs flailed around. 'DON'T TOUCH ME! I SAID LET ME GO -'

'Makoto!' 

Someone violently shook me by the shoulders.

I blinked through my tears, seeing Masoto, looking just as broken as I felt. I turned my head slightly to see Nii-san, his eyes filled with tears as well as he grabbed onto me.

'There's nothing we can do ...' Masoto said, shaking uncontrollably as tears rolled down his cheeks. 'We need to continue ...'

I slumped against Nii-san feeling my chest tighten. 

I took a deep breath. 'You're right,' I finally said, regaining my composure. We were in the middle of war. I knew there would we casualties. I knew some of us wouldn't leave the battlefield alive. It was important I continue fighting till my last breath. 

My hand tightened around my rod. 'Let's go,' I said, charging towards the monsters once again. My brothers behind me.

***

I ducked just in time as a monster swung an ax-like hand over my head. I straightened up before jumping up and hitting it on the head with my rod. Before my feet reached the ground, I swung one leg across its chest. It staggered backwards before collapsing. I felt my muscles ache and I myself staggered back, coming into contact with something hard.

I turned around and nearly let out a scream. Two of the huge monsters were right behind me. With huge clubs as hands, raised over their head and ready to strike. 'Shit ...'

Their clubs descended, about to come into contact with me when I felt an arm around my waist and a hand on my head, my face buried into fabric. My feet left the ground for a few seconds before I was finally put down. The person's grip loosened slightly.

'Are you alright?'

'Yeah, I'm -' I looked up, seeing Sasuke's face only inches away from mine. I felt my stomach churn uncomfortably. I pushed him away from me, refusing to look at him. I clenched my fists, feeling his gaze on me the whole time. I sucked in a painful amount of air before turning my back from him. 

I don't even know what I'm suppose to do anymore ...

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Hey guys!

Sorry if this chapter's pretty short and ... suckish. Hopefully the next one will be much better. Also, I'm planning to make the next chapter take place after the war. Because I don't want to keep dragging things between Makoto and Sasuke. So, what do you guys think? Should I just go ahead with the ending of the war or continue?

Anyways, thanks for reading!