Both Sides Of Him

Both Pico and I were walking down the street in our swimsuits.

We stopped to grab something to cool us down. There were plenty of people selling ice cream, snow cones and cold drinks. We stopped and grabbed all three.

"So...that guy at the beach..." I started a conversation, sipping my iced tea.

"Yeah, I shouldn't have punched him. But in my defense..." He trailed off."Yeah, I got nothin'. I just didn't like the way he was talking to you."

"So...you're violent?" I inquire.

"Not all the time. I'd never put my hands on you, of course!" He seemed to be in a bit of a panic when he answered my questions. I wasn't sure what to think.

I decided to drop it since it was clearly making both of us uncomfortable. He switched the topic to something else.

"You wanna, I dunno, go back to the hotel or something? I'm not really a beach person."

"Yeah, me neither." I laugh. So we turn and head back to the hotel, entered the elevator and stopped at our floor."Goddammit." I sigh.

"What?"

"Jenna has the key card. I'm locked out." I huff."Dang. Welp, see ya!" He enters his room, leaving me in the hallway by myself."Seriously?!"

He opens the door, laughing quietly."I'm kidding. Come on in, shorty."

Normally, I hate people calling me shorty. But when Pico does it, it's kinda hot, so I can't complain.

As my heart races, I walk into the room he shared with Keith and he shut the door. There were two beds, both neatly made, just like our room, a couch on the far right near the big window, a bathroom on the left, a tv, and a small kitchen near the back. He sat on one bed and turned the tv on. I made myself comfortable on the second bed, still eyeing him curiously.

"Can I ask you something?"

"You just did."

I grab a pillow from my bed and throw it at him."I'm being serious. I've been wanting to ask, but I wasn't sure if it was rude or not."

"You don't have to worry about offending me. Just ask." He says, flipping through channels on the television. Not that there were very many to flip through.

"What do you do for a living?" That was my first question. He stopped pressing the channel button, but continued slower than before. He was quiet for a moment but I didn't stop looking at him. He sighed and set the remote down, turning to face me.

"If I'm being honest, you're not gonna like my answer."

"Heh, try me." I smirk. He shrugs and takes a deep breath.

"I'm a hitman."

I freeze for a moment, seeing the unwavering seriousness on his face."Pah, yeah right! C'mon, be serious." I laughed.

"I am. I kill people for money." He reiterates. I swallow hard, feeling my blood run cold. Am I seriously sitting in the presence of a murderer? The same guy who saved my life from a strange man? The same guy who's so funny, and sweet, and great with those two little kids?

I open my mouth to speak, but nothing comes out.

His gaze drops to his lap as if to hide my face."I told you you wouldn't like my answer-"

"No, no, no!" I cut him off."I don't mind!"

He raises a brow at me."Really?" He obviously didn't believe me."Me being a killer doesn't bother you in the slightest?"