sixteen

"we have his results ready."

"i'll take it from here, thanks"

the harsh white lights were the first thing he saw as he inhaled the hospital sterile stench. he cringed as his throat was extremely dry.

"you're awake." his eyes followed chan who was now in his hospital suit, holding a clipboard in his hands with a smile.

"d-does hyunjin know i'm here?" when he came looking for his husband immediately, chan's smile fell. he cleared his throat and adjusted his tie.

"well, not yet-"

"chan i need to ask you for a favor. please go to his company, he isn't answering his phone. please." he attempted to rise from the bed but half his torso was numb.

"jeongin, you're worrying about him right now? you're still in a bad state, calm down and rest." he walked closer. "you fractured your vertebrae, but you're lucky your spinal chord was not lacerated or else it would be a much worse case."

"why can't i feel my back right now?" he asked worriedly and automatically his hand gripped onto the older's wrist, making him smile slyly.

"i injected lidocaine while you were out. its bound to numb you, but it would wear off eventually." with one hand he brushed the hair off of his face which was now cleaned and bandaged.

"you'll be okay innie. but because your spine is curved, we'll need you to wear a spinal brace for at least three months."

jeongin looked down, his worried expression never leaving his face.

"chan, thank you for keeping your promise." he smiled weakly. "thank you for never leaving my side like you said. i'm sorry we started on the wrong note."

"shh rest, i'm just glad you're okay now."

"um... when i'm discharged, can i invite you for the dinner i owe you?"

at the mention of that, the older's eyes lit up in delight. his smile stretched wider as he chuckled.

"really?" jeongin could tell how excited he was just by his tone and he can't help but think back to hyunjin and how he never seemed this happy around him anymore.

he waved away the thoughts and nodded his head.

"you know i'd love to." he scratched the back of his neck. " anyway, i'll go to hyunjin now. your daughter is on her way, don't do anything that may hurt you ok?"

"mhm."

and although he wished he didn't have to do it, jeongin was close to begging him just so he could see his husband who was the reason why he was here in the first place.

giving one last glance to the younger, he shut the door behind him and started to remove his lab gown.

-

"excuse me, may i ask for hwang hyunjin's office?"

in the midst of the busy atmosphere, chan found himself asking the receptionist. the building is what he wasn't expecting at all. towering ceilings, glass walls. everything screamed power and he felt belittled while being in here.

"do you have an appointment, sir? sorry but we don't allow anyone up there unless he called for you." the woman behind the thick marble counters replied.

"please call him, it's urgent." he cleared his throat. "it's about his husband."

and as if the receptionist was told a certain order to let anyone come up without hesitation if its about yang jeongin, she immediately gave him directions and even urged him to go fast.

even the lift wasn't basic nor cheap looking either. he was only here for five minutes and he already wanted to leave.

the ride took an unnecessary long time before the doors finally opened to the top level. what he saw in front of him was an empty floor, not a single soul around.

he stepped out of the lift and started to wander, this is where his eyes caught sight of the two people inside the glass-walled office. one was a woman, and one was no other than hwang hyunjin himself.

"s-sir?" he could faintly hear the woman's voice.

his brows furrowed and he made sure he doesn't make a sound. slowly he took his phone from his back pocket as he carefully watch what's unfolding in front of him.

from his view, hyunjin started to lean in and this is where he started taking photos. then suddenly the girl left and so he hid behind the pillar. he was about to leave but then the blonde whipped his head towards his direction as if he could sense someone was watching him.

chan waited for a few minutes before he carefully walked back towards the lift. inside he started to swipe through the photos he took where it looked like hyunjin was getting intimate with a woman.

a smirk appeared on his face.

"wait til jeongin sees this."