A katy or a gaga

It's a brand new week of school. Everyone is in the choir room playing around. I was sitting by the drums with Ryder he was teaching me how to play.

Then Mr. Shue walks the room with a pierce of paper in his hands.

"All right, big week, guys. Come on. Gather around. I have here in my hand...a secret list of the show choirs that we will be in competition with as Nationals in six weeks. We got the Rust-belters from Pittsburgh, the thunder showcats from Gainesville and finally from Fort Wayne, Throat explosion." Mr. Shue informs us.

"No! Why, god?!" Tina screams.

"Throat explosion? That's a joke, right?" Jake asks.

"Anything but. There are the new super group the show choir underground's been buzzing about. Their budget for costume, make up, hair alone are astronomical. You guys have read that Malcolm Gladwell book. Outliers right? Naya, let them know." Blaine says.

"So, Gladwell says you can't possibly master anything unless you spent 10,000 hours practicing it. So students can't even join Throat explosion without proving they've logged in 10,000 hours of show choir rehearsal. They don't even go to class. They just perform, every minute of every day. They live their art. They know no boundaries. They're constantly pushing the envelope, living and performing on the edge. They're like little Lady Gaga's." I explain.

"We are so screwed. We can't compete with Throat explosion anymore at that level because we lost our biggest gaga when Kurt graduated last year. Look around, we're room full of Katy Perry's now." Tina tells us.

"Oh, you best check your Spectrum, Queen T, because orange is the new black and unique is the new Gaga." Unique says.

"Well no Marley...she's a Katy. So is Sam. So is Blaine. So is Naya." I tried to tell to be quiet so I wouldn't get embarrassed.

"I'm a Katy Perry and I'm proud of it." Blaine states.

"Hold up, Naya, you're a Katy?" Artie asks me.

"Shut up." I tell him.

"Uh, the truth is, Tina, we're a potent mix of Katy Perry's and lady Gaga's in here. But it's not a liability it's the way we're going to beat throat explosion. Some of us in here are you know, ambi-edge." Mr. Shue says.

"Ambi-edge? Did you just make that up?" I ask.

"I mean, Uh, some of us are more, you know, wholesome, innocent, romantic, all-American girl-and boy-next door types. Uh, who in here would describe themselves as a Gaga?" Jake, Kitty, Unique and Tina raised their hands.

"Okay, and the rest of you are Katy's." Mr. Shue asks.

"Is there a third option?" Ryder asks.

"Not in glee club." I tell him.

"We're gonna mix it up a little bit. We're turning our weaknesses into our strengths. This week, the Katy's will get their Gaga on and the Gaga's will bring the Katy. Throat explosion does their one thing very, very well, but we need to be able to do both, impeccably, or else we're not gonna have a chance in hell of winning Nationals this year." Mr. Shue explains.
••••••••
Later that day Sam had called all the Katy's to the auditorium to explain our performance plan.

"All right, Gagas, I'm taking over this monster ball, since I'm obviously the Edgiest one in the group. And as a former teen stripper, I understand the power of the edge of Theatricality and performativity." Sam exclaims.

"Yeah, but what are they building?" Ryder asks.

"The future, Ryder. They're building the future. We're going to get scary and weird and controversial." Sam answers.