Living in the Country

Peak:

Here I am in the back of my parent Ford trying to write my last essay before enrolling in public school

Here I am in the back of my parent Ford trying to write my last essay before enrolling in public school. It's the last assignment before the next semester. When my mom told me that we were not only moving half-way across the country, but that I also had to go to public school I told her to define what she was saying.

Apparently her boss decided to play monopoly because my parents had to work at a different location unless they wanted to get fired. My reaction shocked my parents, I guess they thought I was going to throw a fit. It's not every day you come back from a sleepover with your best friend to find you parents telling you that you were leaving the next day to Durham NC. Before yesterday I had no idea it even existed.

"Mom I'm hungry," I say.

"Well get over it we don't have anywhere to stop right now."

"You just passed the food stop." I grumbled.

"Peakania if you don't stop complaining I'm going to drop you off the side of the road and dispel of you for good."

"Dad, your wife is being cruel to your baby girl." My father looked torn on who to pick.

"Honey," he said hesitantly, "I am getting kind of hungry. Besides it's lunch time." His stomach and mine agreed with him at the same time. We both laughed and mother gave in, pulling over at the next stop. I just realized something, the darn woman called me Peakania! I keep telling her that it's Peak. Her excuse is that she can't call me anything else besides what on my birth certificate. Dad understands because his full name is Berkinstine. He makes everyone call him Berk. "Yes! Food!" I shout, as we pull into Wendy's. My father laughs and hops out the passenger side. He opens the back door and bows slightly.

"Would my beautiful daughter like to be escorted into the restaurant?" he inquires.

I giggle and play along. "Why thank you dear father of mine."

Mother grumbles something about me being an attention hog. I ignore her and walk forward with my father at my side. My mother and I don't have the greatest relationship in the books. She's a fashion designer for a famous company, while I would rather skate and paint. I wore a skirt once when I was six. I went to the park that day and tripped over a toy in the sand pit. A boy behind me laugh and said he saw my underwear.

I pushed him into his own sand castle and stomped over to my mother demanding that we leave. I haven't worn a skirt or dress ever since, the insufferable piece of clothing. Once she gave me a dress to wear to a party we were going to. To emphasized my dislike for it I took my pocket knife and cut the whole thing to shreds. She chided at me for wasting a $300 dress. She didn't actually care about the money though; she'd gets it back on Friday.

You'd think I would be a brat who loved to have a lavished room just for me, yet I lived in an attic at my old home. Not because I was forced to, I simply found it more comforting. The rooms my parents choose for me when we move usually ends up being my art room. My mother found me incomprehensible while my father simply made sure I had someone to be there for me. Don't get me wrong, I still love her; I just feel more of a connection to my dad. My mother is like a girly bull while my dad is a protective wolf. That was a weird description, I know.

After eating we hit the road again. I continued writing my essay. Before I knew it we were at our new house. It was a two story house, red bricks stacked tall into the sky. I got out and stared at it, my new home. For some reason my parents picked a house miles from society.

Well, now that I look around I do see a house a little to the west. I'll ask my parents about it later. Right now I'm beat. I can never sleep during car rides, no matter how long. My mother however seems quite vivacious. Luckily mother and dad had all the furniture and stuff moved in before we came. All I had to do was unpack my personal belongings and cloths. I set my alarm and roll over, quickly falling into a peaceful sleep.

I woke up the next morning when my alarm screams at me to get up. I stumbled into the kitchen while wiping sleep from my eyes. My dad greeted me cheerily and I gave him a grunt in response. I have always been very taciturn in the morning. I sit down for breakfast and sigh, a new chapter in my life is about to begin.