A Soundless Battle ~ Twice as Shattered

A/N: This is part two of A Soundless Battle.

If you have not read part one which is 'Not Another Fairy Tale' Then I suggest you go back to the previous chapter. 

.............................................................

Back? Great! Enjoy the chapter!

              Tyson stares at Carla, challenging her to stop him.  Her face remains void of an emotion. The sound of rubber hitting concrete went in unison with the thumping of their hearts. Tyson looks towards his target, then to his sister. Carla was the best seventh-grade basketball player he'd ever seen. Sure she wasn't on a team, but the passion for the sport was enormous. 

              Just then, a car pulls into the driveway. The distraction effectively takes his head out of the game. The ball is snatched from his grasp. He whips around so fast that he gets a crick in his neck. His eyes watch in amazement as the ball catches nothing but net before falling into his little sister's hands. The car door slamming drew both Carla and Tyson's attention. 

                David glances at his children and smiles tiredly. On his way inside he kisses Carla's forehead and then ruffles Tyson's hair. Once he enters the house, he follows the delicious aroma into the kitchen. There stood his beautiful flower. He pecks his wife on the lips before heading upstairs to shower. 

                Carla sat on the edge of her parent's bed, waiting patiently for her father to exit the bathroom. She has always been a daddy's girl. She also made many observations other people tend to miss. Usually, her dad was tired after work, this she knew. The reason she was waiting for him was the sadness that he was obviously trying to conceal. She had noticed it even more as of late. 

               She watches as the door opens and her father came out, wiping his hair with a towel. He lowers the towel, smiling when his eyes make contact with hers. She, however, frowns. He sighs, taking a seat beside her. He knows that nothing escapes the watchful eye of his little girl. 

              "My boss was criticizing me again. We didn't have the ingredients for a soup a customer ordered, so I improvised. I used a few different seasonings and some different meat cuts. This was yesterday afternoon right before my shift was over. i didn't think anyone would mind, I just wanted to satisfy the customer."

              "When I came this morning my boss was livid. Apparently, people started asking for the new soup someone had said to have eaten. This was after I left for the day. A lot of people we disappointed and walked away when my boss had no clue what they were talking about. Somehow he found out I made it and told me that if I ever made something that wasn't on the menu again; he'd fire me." David sighs heavily as he finishes telling his daughter about his problems. 

"He's just jealous Dad. You are a way better chef than him. He simply feels threatened." Carla comforts her dad. 

"I know sweetheart. I know."

"One more month, one more until you have enough money to have your own restaurant."

          David smiles, hugging his daughter tightly. Lilly, his wife, called them down for dinner as they pulled out of the hug. He stands, taking Carla's hand in his. As they ascend the stairs, a grin appears on his face. His spirit had been lifted once again. All thanks to his little angel.

_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_