The Reunion

The "Man" in Black:

 The man in black ran so fast that when he looked back, he couldn't see the gunslinger following him through the tremendous amount of dust he had kicked up

 The man in black ran so fast that when he looked back, he couldn't see the gunslinger following him through the tremendous amount of dust he had kicked up. There was still no doubt that the gunslinger was following him. He jogged up the side of a sand dune. Then he stood and waited for the dust to neutralize. As he looked around, he couldn't see anyone. He smirked, that old man would get here many minutes after he left. Arrogantly he started heading down the other side of the sand dune.

     While walking he tripped and tumbled the rest of the way down. Much to his displeasure, though he was a bit intolerant; he admitted to himself that he was precarious. A small line in the sand indicated that a snake had passed by. He looked around and decided to loll about for a bit. While he was sitting there, he began to think. He didn't understand why he was running, it's not like his life was of any significance anymore. His life stopped being important when his father disappeared and left him on his own. Just recently he had discovered that his father became the gunslinger. Meaning, his own father was trying to kill him.

     His father doesn't know that though. Surely he wouldn't kill his own child? For the man in black, everything about his life was becoming excessive. He thought for a second, what if he ended his life? No one would care; after all he's just a thief. He was framed, but that doesn't make him any more important. The majority of his thoughts agreed with him, but there was a minority of thoughts that told him not to. As he stood he was knocked over again and held down. He began to struggle, but it was no use. A gun was put to the side of his head. His face hidden behind a mask.

     Never in his life had he imagined that at sixteen years of age he'd be murdered, in the middle of nowhere by his own blood. His grey eyes clouded and his mouth blurted out the first thing that came to mind. "Don't kill me father! Please don't kill me!" The gunslinger stopped in surprise. Quickly he pulled down the cloth around the boy's face. One look at him and the gunslinger jumped back in surprise. The sixteen year old began to scoot away in fear. The gunslinger moved forward, causing the boy to scoot back farther until he hit the bottom of the sand dune. The gunslinger paused and spoke to his son for the first time in five years.

     "Damien." It wasn't a question, nor did it have a response. He simply said his son's name. His eyes conveyed everything the gunslinger was feeling; hurt, sorrow, and regret. Damien slowly rose, staring into the eyes of his father. A cobra appeared and slithered towards Damien. Neither person noticed it. The silence was cut short as the boy screamed in pain, dropping to the ground. The taipan had latched itself onto his calf. The gunslinger threw a rock at the reptile. It released his son and made its way to it's new prey.

     The gunslinger quickly shot a few bullets at the snake. When the dust cleared the snake lay dead on the ground. He ran over to his son and held his head up. "Shane." His son grunted out still angry with him. For forty minutes Shane dragged his son through the desert, trying to find someone to save him. Damien began to burn up. He wasn't going to make it. He had to forgive his father. Shane looked at his son and sobbed. "Father," whispered Damien, "remember me." before he drifted into an eternal sleep.