The Mystery in The Big Apple

She was simply looking through her puzzles, trying to find ones that she has not done yet; when there was a knock on the door. She walked over to the door and opened it. A man stood outside carrying a letter for her. It was not often that she got these letters. Probably just from her aunt or uncle in South Africa. She gave him a smile as she took the package.

It was only then that she realized it was from nowhere in Africa at all. Rather, it was from the states. She was quiet confused on why she would get mail from across the ocean. She thanked the man and bid him goodbye after giving him a few pieces of candy for him and his nephew. She went inside and shut her door. Sitting back at her desk she began opening the letter.

Dear Ms. Ramotswe,

                        A great trouble has arisen in our city and despite you living in Africa, we found that you would be the best suited for the job. We need your help here in New York City, for an authentic artifact from the York City Museum. The famous Regent Diamond was shipped here from Paris for a limited time only. It is worth $75,381,600 dollars. On its second night at the museum it was stolen. If you would please take this case it would be a great honor. We are in desperate need of finding the diamond so that it can be returned to its rightful place in Paris, France. I have attached a ticket to the inside of the envelope. Your flight leaves on the second weekend of June. If you are not here by Monday then I will assume that you do not what to take up the case. I completely understand if it is too much of an inconvenience for you to come. However I do hope you at least consider my offer. Best Wishes,

            Isaac Norel James

She set the letter down juxtaposition with the envelope. She knew without a doubt that she just couldn't do it. Her only impediment was that she couldn't leave her home in the hinterland, let alone fly across the entire ocean. She sat inert for a few moments. That's when it hit her. She was no oracle but she knew her solution would work out just right. She was going to send her niece in her place. Brice, her niece always showed a tepid amount of excitement for the rainforest. She thought of it has a barrier for her.

She wanted the liberation of being able to travel the world. She also had scrutiny observation skills. She was not as frail and weak being that she was only 16 years old. The only problem was that she sometimes did things without thinking about the consequences that would follow afterward. Hopefully she could talk to Brice about this before she left. Though she has lived here all her life Ms. Ramotswe didn't think she would mind the commotion of New York City.

With that decided, she headed off to tell her niece the wonderful news. She walked to the hut five huts down and knocked on the door. Her mother answered it. "I have some new for you and you daughter." She told her sister Evelyn. "Come in, my husband is here as well." She stepped into her sister's humble adobe. She walked though the living room with her sister right behind her. Everyone got settled down and Ms. Ramotswe stated her business. "I want Blair to go to New York City and solve a case I was asked about." She said, cutting to the chase.

"All the way in New York? Would that not be dangerous.?" Her mother replied worriedly.

"It could be in the beginning. But I will hire an agent to show her around before even starting her mission."

"I suppose she could go....She's always wanted to explore."

Blair squealed and hugged her Aunt. "Thank you, thank you thank you!" She shouted.

They began to celebrate and plan for a fair well party. And the next week, Blair began her journey to the big apple for a mystery so big and complicated; she would remember it for a life time.