Mystery Boy

Kaylie's POV

        Seeing a boat, Kaylie decided she wanted to go for a ride. She paddled as fast as she could. A cool, gentle breeze blew past her as sweat ran down her forehead. It was the most wonderful feeling to her. Finally, the sun departed from the sky. She stood up in the rowboat testing her balance. As she glanced back she realized that she had paddled far out and was now in deep water.

         She leaned over to get the paddles. As she did so she gently rocked the boat causing the paddles to fall into the water. With a heavy sigh she reached into the water to grab the paddles. Farther and farther she reached. Before she knew it, she was soaked. She tried to grab hold of the boat but was soon pushed under by the waves. The air around her deflated and was replaced by water. She felt something touch her leg and gasped, letting out any air that she still had left. She glanced at the fading sun through the screen of water, as her last shaky breath escaped her lips. 

The Boy's POV

The boy was looking out into the ocean with his binoculars. For some reason he felt like he needed to be there. As he scanned the horizon he spotted a boat. Beside it he saw something splashing. A minute later it had disappeared. His growing curiosity begged him to go to the boat. He obeyed it.  With one tug he threw his shirt off and jumped into the water. His senses urged him to go as fast as he could. Swimming with all of the strength he could must. Something was very wrong. In five minutes he reached the boat. His heart pounding when he found nothing. He knew there had to be something he was missing. 

        As he floated in the water,  a small cloth rose to the surface. It had his initials on it and looked like his yet his had a stain and this one was clean.  The boy placed it on the bottom of the boat and ducked underwater to look around. Seeing nothing he came back to the surface. Taking the biggest breath he could muster he began to swim downward. After a while he saw the owner of the cloth. A girl was slowly sinking to the bottom. With one final push he was able to wrap his arms around her.

        He was beginning to need more air. He had to get out of the water fast. As fast as he could he began to heighten her to the surface. He broke through the water and took a huge gulp of air. He then swam over to the boat and placed the girl inside. He climbed over and laid her down on her back. He pumped her stomach until she began coughing up water. He laid her on her side and got out of the boat. He then began pushing the boat towards the shore. When he reached shallow water he got up and pulled the boat onto the sand.

        He reached to touch the girl. When his hand landed on her shoulder she jerked upwards and stared at him. He simply held his hand out. She took it and stepped out of the boat. As he dropped his hand she obscured herself behind a curtain of hair. He leaned into the boat and grabbed the torn cloth. When he handed it to her, a look of relief shown in her eyes. She said 'thank you' and began checking it for damage. He tapped her shoulder again and pointed to his shirt. As he walked to it he could feel the girl watching him closely. After slipping on the shirt and moving his checkered piece of cloth to his back pocket he made his way over to her.

        She pointed towards the boardwalk in the distance. He gave and benign smile. Why she didn't just say she needed to go over there was a mystery to him. None the less he started walking, with her beside him. The moon reflected on the water as they walked across the beach. When they finally reached the boardwalk, she turned to him and seemed to accolade him for saving her. Using his right hand he waved it from his right ear and over to the left side of his waste, testing her. She instantly perked at the gesture "I could never repay you for this" she signed. That's when he knew the reason she pointed at everything. He realized that she hadn't said thank you, but merely mouthed it. "Are you deaf?" he signed. "I prefer hearing impaired, but yes I am. And who might you be strange boy?"

"My name is White." He stated.

"Nice to meet you White, call me Snow." She requested.

"Who on earth names their kid Snow?"

"None of your business. Who names their boy White?" She signed in anger.

Kaylie's POV

Kaylie watched as he put his hands up in surrender and signed.

"I'd better go now, but before I do, would you like me to walk you home?" At that, Kaye's hard exterior diminished. This boy was still being hospitable after how rude she had been to him. She nodded and began heading towards her house. She felt him next to her and turned to look at him. As she examined his dirty clothing and un-brushed hair, she had a feeling that after he took her home he was going to simply find the nearest ally way and sleep until morning. His hands were scraped and gnarled, adding to her suspicions. She wanted to help him. When they reach her street she stopped and turned to him.

"Why don't you stay with me for the night?"

"I...I have to go home." White signed hurriedly.

"You don't have one." Kaye stated. She was presumptuous that she could convince him to stay.

"Fine, I don't, but that doesn't mean I can just live with you. I'm pretty sure your parents wouldn't want another mouth to feed."

"My aunt would be fine with it."

"Okay then... wait, your aunt?"

"Yeah, my mother and father died in a car crash winter I was born."

"Wait, so your name isn't snow. Your want to be called snow based on the snow that was falling during the season you were born and when your parents died!"

"Yeah, I guess it makes me closer to them. Wait, how'd you even know that?"

"Same thing happened to my parents."

"So what's your real name?" She asked as they began walking again. She began to shiver and shake. She even felt herself let out a sneeze.

"Hey are you okay?" White asked, ignoring the previous question. Kaye tried to nod but ended up sneezing again.

Boy's POV

        The boy felt bad for her so he decide to carry her to the house which she had said was hers.   Her face was easily legible, so he knew that she was silently thanking him as she curled against him. He kicked on the door with his foot and waited for someone to answer. The woman who answered gasped when she caught sight of her niece in the stranger's arms. Her hair was still damp, but the summer night had dried their clothes.

        After he took off his shoes the lady showed him to her room. After placing her down on her bed he slowly left the room. "Tell Snow that I'm sorry, but I couldn't." he signed to Snow's aunt. Without waiting for a reply, he slipped on his shoes and vanished into the night.

A/N: Before anyone asks, no there is no romance going on here. However this boy is someone very important, can you guess?