The Unseen

Rosetta

  I screamed. The throbbing in my shoulder is almost unbearable. No one can hear me over the roars of thunder that shake the sky. Out in the distance my house stands, with my family safe inside. Yet I am here, fighting to stay awake and somehow get out of this storm. I had been riding my bike too far out and started coming back when it had begun to rain. It was so muddy that I dumped the bike and started running. Suddenly a large weight smashed itself against me. I can still feel the weight against my arm and shoulder but I see nothing. It's like an invisible force is holding down my arm.

A shock of lighting stuck the ground a few yards away. Afraid for my life, I begin to probing at the shield. It's this soft bumpy material. Tentatively, I begin scraping at it with my pocket knife. I must say it's rather difficult since I can't move my upper body. I think I may have dislocated my shoulder. After I a minute I hear a shred. A brown color begins to appear in the air. After cutting off more of the invisible fabric I realize that it's a tree; which makes no sense because there are no trees here. But it might explain why I kept running into an invisible wall while riding my bike all day. I cut off more fabric on my side until I can see which part of the tree is on my shoulder. Now I have no idea what to do. I try moving out from under it, but it just causes me more pain. I let out a traumatic scream as I lay desolate on the ground. "Rosetta!" A voice shouts. He may be 2 minutes older than me, but my twin is a complete knuckle head. "Ryan!" I call between roars of thunder. A figure drops down beside me.

"Rosetta, man you shouldn't be out here!" he exclaims while hugging me.

"What are you doing? You shouldn't be out here!" I scold him. I'll slap him for calling me a man later.  "Neither should you!"  He argues. Giving up, I explain to him the situation. His solution is to push the tree off my arm. As he struggles I can tell that pushing trees is a grueling job, even for a 15 year old boy.  After a few more pushes the tree gives in and rolls off my arm. Ryan quickly kneels next to me and wrapped his arm around me; hoisting me up so that I can lean against him. I continuously stumble and fall. Yet he stood by me at all times. I'm glad that my brother does not feel pompous like most people I've met. We finally drop down on our porch. My vision gets blurry and my eyes begin to droop and I hear my brother's voice in the distance. I struggle to understand, but to my mind his words are slurred and mixed together into a jumbled mess. I begin to welcome the darkness that takes my pain away. The last thing I hear is the sobbing of my mother as I relax into my brothers arms. Slowly I am encased with darkness.

     Slowly I open my eyes to a bright light. Groaning I move my left arm to block the light. Very, bad idea! I let out a painful yelp and return my arm to its previous position. At least my shoulder didn't hurt as bad anymore. They must have popped it back into place. As for my arm, that would have to mend by its self. I stare intently at the blobs of color as they begin forming the faces of my family. I give them a small smile. There's my Grandpa, my dad, and my mom. The only person missing is Ryan.

 "Hey guys, where Ryan?" I inquire sweetly. I don't want to sound rude but come on; he's my twin! Plus what he did for me was very valiant.  I'd punch myself for not thanking him. "Sleeping dear, he didn't sleep all night!" said my mother, giving me a kiss on the forehead. Poor Ryan, this is entirely my fault. I think I'm going to have a grudge on tree now. Speaking of which, I have got to figure out what's up with those invisible trees. They seem like an experiment of some kind. That's an adventure for another day. Because I'm pretty sure that an operation like that would want to be kept secret. For now, I just need to rest up and then I'll be ready to take whatever the inventors of those invisible cloths throw at me. That is, if I can see it.