Deaths Impact

A/N: Long time I know, for everyone who is reading my stories I sincerely thank you for putting up with my crappy updates.

I've actually got a few ideas spinning around in my head at the moment. I've pushed past my writers block finally. Hope you enjoy :D  

  My name is Miley. Miley means smiling, but there were certain times in my life where I found it hard to do that. I'm sure many other times will appear in the distant future, but one time in particular struck through my chest and wounded my heart. The death of my grandmother.

                 I was sitting in my room on the computer doing homework as usual when Mum called all six of us into her room.  Me, Ashley, Ivy, Hannah, Sally, and Sara. Well, not Sara, she was only 18 months at the time. We had already known that Nonie, had been going in and out of the hospital. Random fact of the day,  Nonie is grandmother in Italian. Seeing as she had a lot of conditions, I wasn't too worried about it. That most defiantly changed, because what she told us scared me. 

               Nonie was most likely going to pass soon. So that day we packed up and got ready to go from Kentucky to New York. It never takes me long to pack. We'd be staying there for a week. I packed 7 shirts and 4 pair of jeans or skirts, mostly jeans. 

               Anyway, back to what I was saying. After packing and eating dinner we got ready to leave. Night cloths were put on, and teeth were brushed. Well some of us didn't put night cloths on, just whatever was comfortable for an eleven hour car ride. Yes, were rode by car. My dad is the only one who drives at night. So he was the one driving.  It's better to do it at night because then we have less pit stops. Five kids during the day sitting still for hours wasn't going to work. I say five because I wasn't really a problem. At twelve years old I was pretty responsible. I had to be with so many siblings.

               I can barely sleep in a car, or sitting up in general. So I would doze off for ten minutes then be awake for 2 hours or so. That is, after I killed my tablet. By killed I mean the battery ran out. My mother was on the phone with Step Pap, my step grandfather. I could hear bits and pieces of the conversation. From what I could tell Nonie wasn't doing well at all. When we were almost there I could hear my mother crying. I then realized, she had let Step Pap tell them to go ahead and cut her life support. When we arrived we all went to bed. My sisters hadn't found out yet.

            I woke up at eight o'clock, not on my own though. My sisters were being extremely loud, though they usually are in the morning. After everyone ate breakfast and got dress, Mum and Dad called us into the spare room. Dad broke the news to my sisters, and me but what he didn't know was that I already knew.

            After she talked to us we all went to, mourn, I guess. My sisters went into the living room, and I went into the master bedroom. I logged onto the computer and did what I do best to ignore the world. Reading,  I read and I read and I read. First I was a spy, then an orphaned girl. I read so many stories that I lost track.

           Eventually I came out of the room, but my face remained blank. I gave my family a half smile before sitting down with my sisters to watch television. To this day I have no clue what it was, my mind was miles away. Step Pap and Mum began planning the funeral. They were always planning, always on the phone, always checking to see how much things would cost.

          I became a shell. My sisters would be laughing and playing, but I would simply disappear to my own little world. On Saturday was the funeral. We walked into a room full of people.  I began to get nervous, not sure why though. Everyone was there. My Aunt Shelly, okay, that was the only person I knew. A lot of them were Nonie and Step Pap's friends and aides. Random people came up to me up to me saying they were my uncle or cousin. I just smiled and acted like I was busy. I met my god grandmother though.

          Before we left for Kentucky we went over to her house and she gave Mum some jewelry for the kids. But Sara and I got the best gifts of all. Sara got a small bracelet that belonged to Mum when she was a baby. I got three things. A choker necklace made of real silver, a necklace made of real gold with my birthstone on it, and a bracelet which was also made of real gold.

         Soon we were back at home. I continued to do whatever I could to get my mind off what had happened. Soon I realized I forgot one thing. My school work. I was completely behind. Seeing as I was home schooled I didn't have a teacher telling me constantly to do better or that I was failing. Sure Mum asked me but I always told her yes. In reality I was far away being kidnapped by an evil enemy.

        One day Mum checked my grades and realized I hadn't been doing anything for the past 4 months. If I didn't catch up, I was going to fail seventh grade. I'd worked hard to skip a grade and I was not going back. Even if no one would question me being in seventh grade. I spent day after day doing school work. Still my mind lurked with scary thoughts. What would have happened had we been there before? I never gave her the bracelet I had got for her, or told her I love you. Not that I hadn't said it earlier in the week, but I thought that I would get to tell her face to face one last time. I understood though. It wasn't fair to keep her on life support just to say goodbye when she was in so much pain.

         I passed seventh grade with D's and C's. I think about her a lot. Every Monday I always called her. It was my day of the week. I even had my calendar notify me so I wouldn't forget. Even afterward I kept it on. When I saw it I would smile a sad smile and sigh. Eventually I turned it off. On the anniversary of her death I wrote a poem. It was the first poem I had written, 25 lines long.

         Usually the drama starts in high school, but that wasn't the case for me. I still dislike the memory of what happened. Life is tough, I realize that. But everything that happened made me into a better and stronger person. Nonie will always be in my heart, now and forever.