Chapter Five

Emma was woken up by the sound of her phone belting out Irreplaceable by Beyoncé. That was Regina's ring tone. What the hell was she doing ringing her this early. She rolled over and glanced at the alarm clock on her dresser. Shit! It was 9.30am. She should have been up hours ago and now she was late for work. She grabbed for her still insistently ringing mobile and swiped to accept the call.

'Hello,' she mumbled out sleepily. 'I'm sorry, Regina. I must have forgotten to set me alarm last night. I know that I'm late for work but I'm getting up right now. I'll be there in fifteen minutes, max.'

'Forget about work, Miss Swan. What the hell are you playing at?' Regina bit out.

'Sorry?' Said Emma. She was feeling super confused. What the hell had she done now?

'You should be sorry. What were you thinking? I can't believe that you've done this! Just so you know, the whole town will probably be aware of this by lunchtime. What is Henry going to think?'

Emma was far too tired to deal with an angry Mayor the second she had just woke up. She sat up and muttered into the phone, 'I have no idea what's wound you up this much, but I don't have the energy to deal with you right now. Goodbye Regina.'

As she went to cancel the call she heard a squawk from the other side, as Regina yelled out, 'Don't you dare hang up on me.' She shut off her phone and lay back against her pillows feeling completely baffled.

The peace was short lived though, as with a poof, Regina appeared in all of her red-faced glory, right at the bottom of Emma's bed.

The Sheriff let out an exasperated sigh. She had a feeling that today was about to start off with a bang. 'What do you want, Gina?'

'What do I want?' Regina was absolutely furious. 'Do you not even care what our son will think when he hears what everyone is saying about his mother? I don't even know why I'm surprised. Someone who jumps so fast into bed with someone else, clearly wouldn't care about anything like that.'

Emma stood up so fast she nearly toppled over. 'I beg your pardon? First of all, I didn't even know what the hell you were going on about two minutes ago, although I can probably guess now. But for the record, Madam Mayor, it's none of your damn business what I do in my personal life. Why should you care who I sleep with?'

'I don't care! I only care what other people are saying about you. They all think that you're an easy lay now. Is that what you want?' Regina said bitterly.

'You didn't care about me last week. Why are you suddenly so bothered now?' Emma whispered sadly.

'I did care about you! I tried yesterday to explain all of that to you but you wouldn't listen. I just want my best friend back. This isn't the Emma that I've come to know.'

'As far as I'm aware I never stopped being your best friend. And I hardly think that sleeping with someone has anything to do with this anyway.'

'I don't like her, ok. You could do so much better than have a relationship with a werewolf. There's millions of girls out there that would love to be with you and aren't part creature,' Regina said passionately.

'Are you seriously going to judge her purely because once a month she turns into a werewolf? She didn't ask for this, Gina. She was born that way?' Emma bit out.

'Five minutes ago you said you were in love with me,' she said furiously. 'Clearly not, if that's how fast you move on. You don't know the meaning of the word love.'

Emma flinched back as though she had been slapped, a shocked look on her face. 'You have absolutely no right whatsoever to say that to me. You told me that you didn't want me, so you have absolutely no say in how I choose to get past that.'