Chapter Eight

Emma had tossed and turned all night. As she sat up and scrubbed her face, she felt like her eyes were being held open with matchsticks. She was so tired. She still wasn't any closer to deciding what she should do. On the one hand, Regina had really hurt her. They'd been best friends for so long that she had least assumed that the Mayor would have been more respectful and honest. But instead she had treat her appallingly. And on the other hand, Evie seemed genuinely sorry about what had happened. The Sheriff could tell that she had been completely honest in everything she had said, she really wouldn't have hurt her if she'd had any say.

She sighed deeply. She was going to have to think about this carefully. She knew that once she committed to something, then she was in it for the long haul. So it was best to make sure that she was committing to right thing.

She reached for her phone and checked the time. It was only 4am. Maybe she would try again to get some more sleep. She didn't want to go and make herself a coffee and risk waking up Evie. It was far too early for a heart to heart right now and she still felt vulnerable from yesterday. She punched her pillows into a more comfortable position and lay back down. She'd have a couple of hours and then she'd get up and make something for breakfast. She'd have to make something for Evie too. She wasn't too sure that her cooking skills would be up to the task, but a girls got to eat.

She was just about to drift off when she heart a quiet tapping at the bedroom door. She sat up bewildered and called out 'Come in!' The door was gently opened and in strolled an exhausted looking Evie.

'Are you ok? Did you need something?' Emma asked sleepily.

'I couldn't sleep. I heart your bed creaking and thought you might be awake too, so I thought I could come and keep you company,' Evie offered doubtfully.

'I was just about to drift off. I didn't sleep much either.'

'Sorry, I didn't realise. I can just go back through to living room so that you can get back to sleep.' She started to slowly retreat out of the room.

'No, it's ok. You can come in here. Do you want to get in the bed? It's a bit cold this morning. And it's not like we haven't shared a bed before,' Emma added.

'That's true! Thank you,' Evie said as she slid underneath the covers. It really was quite chilly, she thought as she shivered. It was much warmer in Emma's bed than it had been on the sofa.

'It's no problem. I should have thought to turn the heat on before I went to sleep but it didn't cross my mind,' said the Saviour. She adjusted her pillows again, her back and shoulders were aching like mad. But they usually did when she'd been dealing with a lot of stress and she'd certainly had that.

'Can I just say something? You can say no if you want, but I promise you I'm just trying to help you out,' said the Evil Queen.

'Go ahead,' the blonde said, cocking her head to the side in interest.

'You seem to be in a bit of discomfort and I know you get achy when stressed. I just wanted to say that I'd be more than happy to give you massage if you wanted. No funny business, obviously. I'd just rub your back and maybe it would help you to sleep.' She suggested.

'Ummm. I don't know! Is that a good idea?' Emma asked biting her lip in anxiety.

'I promise I will only massage where you're sore. You can tell when I'm lying, can't you?'

'Yeah, I can.... Ok! That would be amazing. Thank you.'

'Lie down on your front then and I'll rub your shoulders and neck, then I'll do your back,' Evie said with a smile.

Emma rolled over and made herself as comfortable as she could. Evie sat astride her and she felt her lubricated hands firmly rubbing away all of her aches and pains. She wondered where she'd got the oil from. As the massage continued her eyes started to close. The last thing she remembered before drifting off into a peaceful sleep was Evie planting a gentle kiss between her shoulder blades.