Chapter 13 - Betrayal

Hisako pov:

Days went by in a blur, mostly because my mind was thoroughly preoccupied by Sesshomaru's behavior off late. He had continued to ignore me after the kiss that had left me immensely rattled and wishing for more. It was not just that though, but I also wanted to know what Sesshomaru meant, what he thought and felt when he had kissed me. After all, he was the one who had seemed so...insistent.

Despite the nervousness that continued to make me queasy when I thought of Sesshomaru, I was certain that there was something between us, a connection that I didn't want to lose. This was the first time I had felt a connection so strong with anyone, the feeling of truly belonging, and I didn't wish for it to slip away from me without me knowing of the reason why.

"Hisa Nee, are you really alright?" My thoughts were interrupted by Rin's gentle voice that was laced with concern. I met her eyes, noticing sadness and worry in them.

"I'm fine, Rin."

"But you don't look like it. You've been really quiet since the past few days and you look angry and sad," she spoke, shifting closer to me. "Did you and Sesshomaru sama fight?"

"Fight?" I mused softly. I looked away from her momentarily wondering what it was that was going on between us. Surely it wasn't a fight – we had not exchanged harsh words in loud voices. A moment of heat and passion had muddled our minds, or at least mine, but I was not being curtly ignored. "We didn't fight," I answered Rin, "but I think Sesshomaru is avoiding me. I want to talk to him and ask him what's going on but he doesn't seem to want to give me a chance for that."

"But why would Sesshomaru sama avoid you? He likes you," she said innocently.

"He likes me? I don't think so." There was obvious bitterness in my voice, which Rin noticed. A soft whimper escaped her lips and it had me tensing a moment before exhaling deeply with a forced smile. "Don't worry about it, Rin, everything will turn out fine. We just need some time to think."

"Really? Is it really going to be okay?" she pressed, sounding hopeful.

"Of course, it will. It has to," I mumbled the last part more to myself. "Shall we go look for food now?"

"Yes! I'm hungry!" she chimed, instantly cheerful. I wondered how she could become so cheerful and without worry so easily. It made me wish I could be like that sometimes. With a shake of my head, I followed Rin through the forest searching for anything we could cook and eat.

It was late evening by the time Sesshomaru returned. I didn't bother acknowledging him and, as I had expected, he returned the favor. It bothered me even though I had told myself that I wouldn't get upset by his indifference but I ensured I kept my gaze straying onto anything but him. It was difficult but a feat I managed to do thanks to my many years of experience in ignoring those around me for the most part.

A mere second thinking of the kiss we had shared had my heart picking up speed. I could almost still feel his lips on mine, his hot breath over my face, and the guttural growls that had escaped his throat every few moments as he caressed me passionately. I exhaled deeply with a shake of my head to rid my mind of the thoughts that only furthered my uneasiness and frustration. Unable to keep control though, I looked to Sesshomaru a moment only to lock eyes with his golden orbs. They darkened and I tensed more as we remained in unblinking eye-contact.

Just as I parted my lips to speak, he turned away from me, releasing me from his overwhelming gaze and making me feel like I had been dropped from several feet high.

My anger rose and I stood swiftly and walked away from our campsite despite Rin calling after me. I stopped when I was a good distance away. My breaths were heavy, my frustration overwhelming and causing me to pace while kicking the stones at my feet.