Chapter 2 - Time Warp

This chapter is dedicated to Haru-Nari8! Happy reading :)

~~~~~~~~~~

Hisako pov:

I had just stepped into the local department store for the chips that I had volunteered to buy to eat as a snack during our project brainstorming. This particular locality was quite calm and the people seemed friendly. They smiled and bowed to me as I passed them on the streets, even exchanging light hearted greetings about the weather which I sufficed with a small smile and a short response probably not even ten words long. It was rare for me to talk to strangers easily and this time wasn't any different.

I walked through the aisles looking for the variety of chips I thought was good to buy. Instead of picking out just one type, I picked out one pack of tangy tomato chips as well as one pack of cream and onion chips. Satisfied with my choice, I walked to the billing counter in front. There were two people standing there and they seemed to be engrossed in a rather serious discussion. They were looking at the small television screen they had next to the billing machine and frowning.

"That's terrible, isn't it? To think something so small resulted in something so bad!" One of the women spoke.

"I'll say! And they say that the firefighters haven't been able to rescue all the people inside the building. The fire is just too much." The other said.

I twitched, picking up subtle hints from their conversation. I guessed that someone had bombed some building and it was up in flames now. Firefighters had rushed to the spot so that they could help quell the fire and save the people in the burning building and reporters had also gone there to let the world see all that was happening there through television reports.

"Excuse me, has there been a fire somewhere?" I asked.

"Oh, yes, there has." The first woman said still frowning. "There has been a short circuit at the clothes warehouse not far from here and firefighters are doing their best to put out the fire and rescue the people trapped inside. They've been able to rescue most of them it seems but there are still a few in the upper floors who are trapped. I hope those people are saved too."

"It's close by?" I asked, trying not to sound too interested.

"It's about half an hour from here by car." The second woman answered. "Does someone you know work in that warehouse?"

I just shook my head no to her question. I didn't ask for any more details and got the packs of chips billed. I thanked the two of them with a chaste bow and walked out of the department store. When I was a few steps away and in a place where people wouldn't notice if I suddenly disappeared, I stepped into a dark alley. I put my backpack down along with the chips against the wall. I took off my earphones and cell phone as well and put them in my backpack before using my powers to cover my stuff to make this portion of the alleyway look like a cement filled box. I then touched the wall in front of me and created protrusions on it so I could climb to the top.

When I made it to the roof, I was easily able to spot the big building in the distance up in flames. The women had said that there were still people trapped inside and the firefighters were unable to get inside to save them because of the intensity of the flames. It did look pretty bad from here too and I knew that being a Superhuman, I would have to step in to help. It was dangerous, yes, but it wasn't something new for me. I had saved people from building fires before too.

I reached into my pocket and put on the cloth mask that covered the bottom half of my face from view – it was to make sure that I wouldn't be recognized by the people I would save from the fire. I broke into a sprint towards the warehouse while using my powers every now and then to propel myself at faster speeds and make sure I didn't lose my footing anywhere. I was at the warehouse in less than ten minutes of running.