Chapter 10 - Confidence

Hisako pov:

It was late evening, the sky dark and studded with millions of stars. Jaken and I walked behind Sesshomaru, following him to wherever it was he was going while Rin traveled while sitting on Ah-Un's back, having got a little tired of walking for most of the day – she was asleep now though and I couldn't help but wonder how she was able to sleep so soundly with all the movement.

Just as it had been with Inuyasha, Sesshomaru had picked up on Naraku's scent and had followed it all the way till here. It had suddenly disappeared though so we were looking around for other hints of his whereabouts – asking other demons and looking for clues, though most of it was of no help.

Of course, I didn't look for any clues with as much seriousness as Sesshomru and Jaken because I wasn't particularly interested in finding Naraku. Sesshomaru knew that – even if he didn't, he wouldn't expect me to help him look for Naraku – and I merely dealt with the rogue demons we came across along with him.

Post Sesshomaru's unexpected gesture two days ago, he had been as stoic and distant as always. It had made me wonder why he had acted so out of character in that one moment but concluded that he was probably just annoyed by my ragged appearance after plucking peaches that day.

As I had requested, we had stopped at a village on the same evening to pick out new clothes for Rin – I had bought a blue yukata and a pink yukata for her using the money I had taken off of bandits that had crossed our path and, unfortunately, died at Sesshomaru's claws. Rin and I had gone shopping alone though because if Sesshomaru stepped into any village with us, I'm sure we'd either be offered free commodities out of fear or have to face off against Demon Slayers. We usually tried to spare ourselves from anything bothersome like that. Well, I was a strong fighter and I could handle almost any demon that tried to attack us when we were by ourselves and Sesshomaru was spared from participating in something the clearly didn't interest him.

My thoughts were broken when Sesshomaru came to a stop suddenly. I narrowed my eyes, sensing a demonic aura approaching us. It wasn't that of just anyone but Kagura, the Wind Sorceress – Naraku's comrade. I looked up at the sky along with Sesshomaru to see her flying on her feather and coming right at us. She held up her fan and swung it across to send destructive blades of compressed air at us in greeting.

We jumped out of the way before they hit us and I landed several feet away from Sesshomaru with a startled Rin in my arms. She looked at me and I smiled slightly, "I'm sorry of waking you, Rin."

She glanced at Kagura and then looked back at me, recovering from her moment of surprise. "It's alright, Hisa Nee! Thank you for protecting me."

"Nicely dodged, Lord Sesshomaru, Hisako," Kagura said with a scoff after landing on the ground. She held her fan to her chin and was smirking.

"Kagura, the Wind Sorceress," Sesshomaru stated, displeasure lacing his voice. His eyes were narrow too and he reached for his sword.

"I'm hurt that you don't seem happy to see me," Kagura said and glanced at Sesshomaru's swords, "and I'm not here to fight so don't bother drawing your sword."

"Not here to fight? Tell me, are you here to ask me to kill Naraku for you again?"

I frowned at Sesshomaru's words. Kagura had met him before to ask him to kill Naraku? I thought Naraku was her comrade...why would she want him dead?

"You look confused, Hisako," she said to me this time, "and I can see that you're as silent as always. I despise how great you think you are...and all the more because Naraku favors you."

"Why do you want Naraku dead?" I asked, ignoring her seething comment.

"Why wouldn't I? I want to break free from that b****** who controls me solely because my heart is in his possession. I'm the Wind Sorceress and I want my freedom...and I think you can help me achieve it," she said, once again smirking. She walked towards me slowly but before she could get close enough, Sesshomaru appeared between us using his super speed. Kagura seemed momentarily annoyed by the interference but then chuckled. "How curious, Lord Sesshomaru, that you would show such protectiveness for a mere mortal. I suppose you don't want me to hurt her but you must realize that you appear weak for having the need to protect a pathetic human. Where is your pride as a Youkai?"