Chapter 6 - The Lord of the West

Hisako pov:

I walked for a good amount of time not looking back even once or regretting my decision of leaving the village without too much of a fuss. I'm sure I had put quite a good amount of distance between myself and the village by now. I had been spared by the demons in the forest – they probably knew that I was strong enough to defend myself even though I carried no weapon with me and didn't bother me unnecessarily.

I came to a small clearing in the middle of the forest in a few moments. I stopped in the middle of the clearing and looked up at the light blue sky with a soft sigh and a small smile. The weather was beautiful today and memories of picnics I went out with my family flashed through my mind. I missed home and all the people I lived with, all the more so because of how I had just been rejected once again by those who had witnessed me using my powers. Whether it was the past or the present, it seems people were the same.

I shook my head with a light chuckle, seeing that I wasn't getting anything out of thinking about this matter. After all, it was impossible to change people and their thinking. Why bother about it when I knew that? I was who I am, I had accepted myself and I had the support of people who were special like me. That's all that mattered.

Now that my mood was better, I thought about what I should do about my situations instead of aimlessly wander through this forest. I doubt I could live in another village because I was sure things would end up like today again thanks to demons. I couldn't travel or live alone; I didn't know these lands well enough and I'm pretty sure being solitary in this era – one thriving with demons, possibly even ones more powerful than the one I had just fought – wasn't the best option.

I reached up to the necklace I wore around my neck and took a hold of the miasma crystal in my hand so I could look at it. I moved it around in my fingers causing its faces to reflect the sunlight and glisten. I narrowed my eyes slightly as I looked over it in deep thought, remembering Naraku's words. Somehow, I felt that the timing of his visit to meet me and the arrival of the demon to the village was all too convenient. I mean, the demon had appeared right after Naraku had told me that the villagers wouldn't accept me if they saw the person I truly am. Was the demon's appearance a mere coincidence or did Naraku have something to do with it?

Well, I suppose it didn't really matter. Whether it was a coincidence or something Naraku had done, it had showed me that there was, in fact, no real place that I belonged in even in this era. Perhaps Naraku was the only person I could consider as a possible comrade. Since he had this primeval tracking device on me, I was almost sure that he knew what powers I had and had still offered to let me join him, Kagura, Kanna and Kohaku. I was very tempted to summon him right now and accept his offer but just like how it had been till now, I couldn't get that final one percent of agreement to my decision in my heart.

Why was I hesitating?

"I'm sure it's over here, Master Jaken! Hurry up!"

My thoughts were interrupted when I heard a girl's voice from beyond the trees on my right. I sensed a weak demonic aura as well and it seemed familiar. I narrowed my eyes and let go of the miasma crystal as the sound of leaves crunching below footsteps got closer and a young girl sprinted out of the trees a few seconds later. She was followed by the overgrown toad that was with the demon Sesshomaru whom I had met in the forest after leaving Naraku's castle.

"Stop running, you insufferable child! I already told you that this is unnecessary! I can't believe you didn't listen to Lord Sesshomaru and had me come all the way here as well!" The toad shrieked.

"But Master Jaken! It is necessary! I'm sure these herbs will help Lord Sesshomaru feel better!" The girl responded while looking through the meadow intently.