Chapter 8 - Held Back

Hisako pov:

"So you're saying that Naraku is actually a bad demon who's caused all of you problems? That's why you're all after him?" I clarified, speaking loudly over the noise of the wind that rushed around us as we flew.

"That's right. Naraku has only caused all of us pain. Well, not to me as much as he has with Inuyasha, Sango, Miroku and Koga. He's an evil demon who wants to become the most powerful demon to have ever existed by gathering all the shards of the Shikon Jewel." Kagome answered with anger heard clearly in her voice.

"When you say pain, what sort of pain do you mean?" I pressed, wanting to know more details about Naraku.

When I had met him, he did seem like a mysterious person, if not evil. I couldn't tell what he was thinking or whether what he said was honest or not. But there were a few things that made me want to trust his words – the fact that he was a half demon and that he wasn't accepted in the world because he was different like me and that he and his comrades would accept me if I wished to join them. He had said that outcasts like us should stick together and secure our place in the world, to live because we deserved to live a fulfilling life just like every other person and be proud of who we were despite our differences. Those words were the only reason why I still had the miasma crystal he had given me on our first meeting.

His words had unconsciously giving me comfort but it didn't mean that I trusted him enough to become his friend and join him and the other odd members of his team.

"He a sadist who takes pleasure in tormenting people and making them suffer." Kagome said in an angry voice. "Inuyasha and Kikyou were set up against each other by him, causing bitter feelings and anger to grow between them, and Kikyou ended up dying because of that. Sango's family was killed by Naraku but he's kept her younger brother alive with a Jewel Shard and he's under his control. Miroku's family was cursed by him so he has the Wind Tunnel in his right hand that sucks in everything around it into its void. If the curse is not lifted, Miroku will soon be sucked into his Wind Tunnel and cease to exist. Koga's tribesmen were slaughtered by Kagura under Naraku's orders. He's a sick demon and all of us want him dead!"

"I see..." I said and looked to the emptiness beside me with a frown.

Was Naraku really that sort of demon? Had he really done all those terrible things? When he had offered me a place to belong, he seemed gentle and understanding. Even though I had refused his offer, he had given me the miasma crystal so I could contact him if I ever changed my mind. He didn't force me to join him though I did notice his sort of cunning and influential way of speaking and the rather absorbing expression in his scarlet eyes. Sure, he was powerful too – I could sense that – but was he really so evil?

"I told you she's on his side, Kagome! She doesn't seem to believe what you said about him!" Koga hollered and snapped me out of my thoughts.

I looked at him and narrowed my eyes. "I already told you that I'm not on anyone's side. So stop trying to make me a villain."

"Ha! As if! Then why didn't you show surprise or any sort of negative expression when Kagome told you what that b****** has done?!" He growled but I sighed, not in the mood to be dealing with this at the moment.

"I don't even know the guy, alright? He saved my life when I first turned up here so it's obvious that I wouldn't know whether he's good or bad. Besides, I haven't seen or experienced anything bad from him yet so I can't just get angry at him and make him the villain in my life too." I muttered. "I'd prefer not having any enemies....it's a hassle to deal with."

"She has a point, Koga. If she's not involved in anything concerning Naraku, we shouldn't drag her into it now. Besides, she'll be going home anyway." Kagome said and looked at me with a smile. "Don't take Koga's words too seriously, Hisako. Or any of ours. We've had it rough with Naraku so we can't help but criticize him."