Chapter 3 - Strange

Naraku pov:

"How interesting." I mused with a smirk.

Yes, that girl, that human was quite interesting indeed. I was intrigued by her from the moment I saw her. I had spotted her falling from the sky when I was flying on my miasma after a brief encounter with Inuyasha and his little gang. I wouldn't have thought much about a random person, let alone a human, falling from the sky but I couldn't help but catch her in my arms when I felt a strange power in her. She was clearly a human but her aura was like none other than those I had sensed before. She had no demonic aura or spiritual aura but something unique and rather powerful – it was an aura that only very powerful demons with a high sensitivity would be able to sense though.

She was bleeding profusely from two deep wounds on her torso and shoulder and had a serious burn covering her entire left arm and shoulder when I caught her. She had probably lost a lot of blood and was still losing blood as I flew back to my castle. I had had Kagura stop the bleeding of her wounds and wrap them up so that she didn't die. She hadn't woken up for two days but I was quite impressed that she had survived such grave injuries and been able to summon enough energy to walk just after she woke.

I had expected her to be a weak hearted human, scared and hesitant, especially when talking to a demon such as me. But her rather bold behavior had taken me by mild surprise. She had very observant eyes and showed caution when talking to me when she first saw me. She showed obvious hints of distrust towards me, a stranger. However, she showed no fear – it had made me quite interested in her. She was definitely not a normal human – not in power or personality.

"You're just going to let her leave? That's not like you." Kagura said with a scoff from beside me.

I chuckled, closing my eyes for a moment and then looking out of the window of the room in which I sat. "She will return to me....in time. I will make sure that she summons me when the time is right. But for now, Kanna, show me the girl."

I looked away from the window and at the mirror in Kanna's hands. It glowed for a moment before showing me Hisako as she followed Kohaku out of my castle. She was looking at the miasma crystal I had given to her quite seriously and just as they reached the gates of the castle, she lifted it and put it around her neck. I smiled, quite satisfied that she was behaving just as I had anticipated.

I suppose she was beautiful for a human. She had a fair complexion and her small face was framed by her smooth dark hair. She had dark blue eyes, which was an unusual trait in humans, and she was small in stature. And her beauty seemed to only get better visible when she tied her hair up.

She had changed back into the blood stained clothes she was wearing when I first saw her. They were torn in some places but not enough to expose her skin even though the clothes she wore itself showed more skin than necessary. Oddly enough, her clothes reminded me of those worn by the miko who travelled with Inuyasha, the girl named Kagome who was the reincarnation of Kikyo.

It had always been so easy for me to understand people. Their behavior, their past, their current comrades and foes told me all I needed to know about them and how I could effectively use them to my advantage. The easiest of that lot was Inuyasha, Sango and Miroku. However, even those I met for the first time, those I didn't know anything about often gave away hints of their personality and their weaknesses which I took great pleasure in exploiting for my personal gain. And I would think that Hisako was no different.

Her aura was more than enough for me to know that she was different from those around her. She had a power that was probably not something a regular weak human would possess. In these warring times when demons overpowered humans, causing them to live in constant fear, it was only natural for humans to not accept those unlike the pure forms of what existed in the world. Demons too loathed anything that was impure and different. The best example for that were half-demons – they were accepted neither by humans nor by demons and shunned as outcasts.