Chapter 9 - Traveling

This chapter is dedicated to Haru-Nari8! Happy reading!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hisako pov:

"Are you sure we're going the right way, Inuyasha? Maybe your nose isn't working properly..." Shippo said with a slight pout as we watched Inuyasha sniff the ground while on all four, trying to pick up Naraku's 'stench'.

"Shippo might be right, you know – it is the New Moon tonight, after all," added Sango and I glanced at her curiously.

"Would you all give it a rest?!" retorted Inuyasha. He sprung up and stomped to us looking quite irked and proceeded to sit down unceremoniously on a boulder with his arms crossed over his chest. "If ya ask me, it's pretty obvious that Naraku's probably got even stronger over his last weak-period so his barrier is stronger and, unfortunately, impossible for me to get a whiff of whether I'm at my strongest or weakest."

Over the past week, we'd been following the scent of Naraku's miasma that Inuyasha had picked up all of a sudden. It was odd that Naraku would give away his position considering how I had come to know over the time I had spent with Sesshomaru and Inuyasha's gang that he was quite cautious and secretive. He was, apparently, trying to become more and more powerful so he could overpower Sesshomaru and Inuyasha's gang without much damage, them being the only actual hindrance to his goal of becoming the strongest demon in existence, but it's not like the latter two were sitting idly either – they fought a variety of opponents during their search for Naraku and became physically stronger with every day that passed. Well, they were quite strong to begin with, their demonic aura quite high and their physical strength and endurance much more than any other demon I had come across until now.

When we had picked up on Naraku's whereabouts all of sudden, Miroku had told me a bit more about half demons. While many half demons were born by the unison of a human and demon – proving that there was the possibility of love blooming between different kinds of existences even in this time period – some half demons were born by demons merging with humans. No matter how they were born, half demons were always prejudiced for their dual nature, all the more because of the general sense of hatred that humans and demons had for each other. It had reminded me very strongly of my existence and the existence of the other Superhumans in the modern world and how we were shunned for our differences from what was considered normal. In that way, I felt oddly connected to Inuyasha and Naraku after hearing about their situation – it wasn't something I would say out loud though.

Half demons also had a very important secret to keep – all half demons were subjected to certain times when they lost their supernatural powers as demons and were rendered as no stronger than an ordinary human and most of them would hide in fear during their weak period. Both Inuyasha and Naraku, being half demons, had weak periods too. While Inuyasha's weak period was the night of the new moon, Naraku had the power to choose his period of weakness – it was probably because he was an amalgamation of demons in the body of a human and not born of human and demon parents. During his weak period, he would reconstruct his body, discarding what was weak and make what was strong even stronger. He would only grow in power with every weak period that passed and it was something that everyone was quite concerned about.

Over the two months that I had been in the Feudal Era traveling with the two odd gangs of humans and demons, I had become more and more mentally restless. I had been hearing so much of negativity about Naraku – the people he had hurt and his evil intentions to become the most powerful demon in existence and rule the world as well as the fact that he wouldn't hesitate to even manipulate people using their weaknesses. There was also the deal with the Shikon Jewel – if he completed the jewel and fused with it, he would be unstoppable. Despite how obviously villainous that sounds and how I had begun to see Naraku with doubt and suspicion, I had not been able to get rid of the miasma crystal he had given me on our first meeting. I had been unable to fully rid myself of the effect of his words of providing me with a place where I truly belong – it was like a thorn in my subconscious constantly pricking at me whenever I thought of discarding the miasma crystal.