Chapter 16 - Truth

Hisako pov:

My gaze was fixated on the twilight sky while I soaked in a hot spring. The stars were visible and twinkled brightly in the slowly darkening sky. It was a pleasant evening, even relaxing with nothing to do, but I was far from relaxed. I was uneasy, queasiness bubbling in the pit of my stomach from all the thoughts that filled my mind.

Nothing particularly grand had happened in the few months I had been with Naraku, at least not in the sense of fights with Inuyasha and Sesshomaru. I was in the dark in that matter, in fact, merely remaining with Naraku while doing nothing. He went off on his own every now and then and other times sent his minions to fight and gather information. On that note, he had created another incarnation of himself, a demon named Byakuya. I had met him a couple of times, and he had seemed oddly courteous but also a little playful in the way he spoke.

As always, I rarely spoke to Kagura or Kanna if they were anywhere on this mountain side that Naraku had made as our base for the time being. He had kept my convenience in mind - not only was the shelter appropriate but there was also this hot spring where I could wash along with enough of food that I could forage for, for my meals. Naraku sometimes brought food for me that he got from human villages, and I was grateful for the variety.

Thoughts of Naraku had me thinking of another thing - the way he had been trying to get even closer to me. Ever since the kiss we had shared after leaving Mount Hakurei, Naraku had not been holding back in expressing his desire for me often. He embraced me often, kissed me often, though it had been only twice that we had met lips. He seemed to like kissing my neck and shoulders, even once tugging off my yukata slightly to access my skin more. I was grateful that he was keeping my comfort in mind though, and not going past a certain limit of intimacy.

Despite having come to accept his gestures and sometimes even feeling consoled by them, I wasn't entirely comfortable with them. Even with all the time that had passed, I could not forget Sesshomaru or the way he had made me feel when we had kissed, when he had embraced me, when he had protected me. The feeling of being filled to the brim with warmth and content had not come to me with Naraku, no matter how doting and expressive he had been.

A deep sigh escaped me as I sunk into the water deeper. Closing my eyes, I placed my hand on my shoulder that burned slightly from the nibble Naraku had given me there while he had spoken to me about wishing to take things further in the matter of our relationship.

>> Flashback

"Hisako," Naraku called to me when he landed atop the cliff where I was standing. He released his barrier as he approached me, smoothly snaking an arm around my waist when he was close enough. He held me to himself at every time he could, and I did not mind reciprocating it to the extent that I held his sides or arms in return.

"You're back, Naraku," I said, regarding him with a smile. "We're you able to meet with the demon you wanted to?"

"Yes, and things are progressing as planned. Do you wish to hear more?"

"If you are alright with letting me in on the information," I replied.

Letting me go, he held my hand in his and guided me to the slightly secluded spot of the mountain side where we usually spent time together. It was a place that his incarnations were not allowed to come to without permission, though mostly when the two of us were there.

Letting go of my hand, he reached for a flower in his robe. He put it in my hair and smirked. "You are beautiful."

"