A New Sighting

LIU's POV: 

     Sunlight shone into my room that morning, blinding me as I woke up. I still ached intensely all over my body, and particularly my stitches. I pulled myself out of the bliss of the motel bed and looked out the window. I could see the bustling of town life as people began their day as well. It was only 9:00 AM, and though I did not have much sleep, apparently the quality of my sleep was enough. 

    I looked back into my motel room, after putting the blinds down. My boxed hamburger from earlier in the morning lay untouched on a rusty table. I picked it up, and sat on the disheveled bed, balancing the box on my knee. The tv remote was hiding in the covers of the bed. After I retrieved it, I turned the television on. The first channel to pop up was the news. 

    The blue light of the tv screen reflected against my green gaze. As I watched, I slowly took bites of my food, savoring the, though stale now, flavor of the beef patty. There was not much to see, just some weather forecasts. It was going to be a sunny day. Thank god, I needed more sun after, apparently, being in a hospital for who knows how long. When I finished breakfast, the channel flipped over to some other news. A picture of a middle-aged woman and an old man popped up on the screen. I was going to ignore it, preferring to lie down, when the mention of my brother's name was spoken. My attention was hooked back to the screen. The news man stated that my brother killed the people on the screen early morning. I had no idea where I was, all I know was that I wasn't home anymore. I also did not see any signs or whatever and my phone must have been left at the hospital. I don't know if Jeff's whereabouts is my concern or business. I just wanted to get home, but every time I wake up, I am somewhere new. 

    I began to reflect this thought, freaking out. Once again, I felt my fingers dig into my scalp till I felt pain. It did not help I needed to cut my nails as they've grown quite a lot. I could not concentrate on any object, just this colossal feeling that the world is going to end. I began rocking myself on the bed, digging deeper and deeper into my scalp. I shut my eyes, hoping somehow this would help; it did not. I screamed aloud, this time not caring if anyone heard me. Maybe I wanted to be heard. My hearing blurred and I felt like I wasn't in my body anymore. 

   ???'S POV: 

     I immediately tore my fingers away from our scalp, massaging the places where the nails dug. "That hurts you know!" I muttered, annoyed by Liu's coping mechanisms. "And I really do need to cut these," I observed my fingernails. Eh, that can wait. With my scalp still aching (along with the rest of my body), I brought my attention back to the news. Unfortunately, the news people went off to discuss politics, but I received all the information I needed. Liu may not know where we are, but I do. 

    I got my knife, wrapped my scarf around my face, and set off to find that asshole. 

    As predicted, it was a nice, sunny day outside. Frankly, a tad bit hot, especially under this scarf. The town where Jeff was spotted was not far from here. But if I miss this chance, who knows where he'll end up next. I'll only be farther away. I called a taxi from within the motel and currently waiting for it to show up... if only they can hurry the fuck up! Eventually, after a lifetime, it did show up by the curb. I wasted no time to hop in and give the directions. The driver lacked any sort of emotion nor the need for smalltalk, which I greatly appreciated. 

    I looked out the window, watching as houses and trees passed us by. When we hit a red light, I cursed under my breath. I was tapping my feet boredly as the taxi cab got onto the highway. It should have been a 25 minute or so drive, but apparently everyone wanted to go in their cars today. The traffic took up 10 minutes of what could have been me already killing Jeff. Also, I could feel Liu trying to resist. It made my head ache a bit. 

    Finally, we arrived at the town where Jeff was spotted earlier. It looked much like the other town. "Where do you want me to drop you off?" The taxi driver spoke for the first time; he had a very deep voice. 

    "Drop me off at the nearest motel." The motel, I soon found out, was probably the best place for me to bunk. Also, I find it is also in close proximity with my necessities, which is basically just food. The vehicle came to a stop by the curb of the motel's lobby entrance. 

     "That will be $25." He looked at me through the front mirror. I nodded my head and took out a $20 and $5 bill from my pocket. I added $5 as a tip. "That's for not speaking the entire time," I slapped his tip into his outstretched hand. With that, I hopped out of the car and entered into the lobby. 

     As expected in such a small town, the motel was nearly empty. Two people were behind a desk, talking among themselves. When I made my presence know, they perked up, their conversation apparently over. 

    "Hello," one of the receptionists spoke in a obviously fake, happy voice. "Are you here for a room?" 

    "Maybe later," I said, fixing my scarf uncomfortably. Liu was getting stronger, and the headache was just worsening. "I do have a question, however." I looked up from the ground to see I had both of their undivided attention. "Do you know anything about Jeff?" 

    "Jeff who?" The second girl asked. 

     "Jeff Woods?" 

      "Oh, that Jeff." 

      "Yeah, do you know any information?" 

      The girls behind the desk whispered among themselves before turning back to me. They were huddled together and indicated for me to come closer. "There was a killing sighted here earlier this morning... he killed a school principal and her father." 

     "Really?" 

      "Yup, apparently, he snuck in their window and killed her in her sleep. Her father used to live with her, and he got him as well. I've always told her to lock her doors and shut her windows, but she never listened to me; no place is ever really "safe"." The last comment was directed at her co-worker, who nodded along. 

     "Do you know what time?" 

      "Um, I don't know... like 3 or 4 in the morning? Come to think of it, probably 3." 

        "Where was the house at?" 

         "You seem way too eager to know about this Jeff guy?"

         Internally, I screamed in frustration. But on the outside, I said, "It's just things like this never happens. I guess curiosity killed the cat." The girls behind the desk still seemed suspicious, but let it go. 

     "Doesn't matter anyway. You can't go, it is a crime scene now." 

      "I can still look?" 

       The girls thought about it, debating amongst each other before complying. "Here kid," one of the women wrote down an address. "I still do not know why so curious. But don't bring us into it." 

     "I won't." I eagerly took the paper with the address. To change the subject, I added, "How many rooms do you have available?" 

    "Trust me, there definitely will be a room available later if you need it." 

      I nodded and turned towards the exit. "Thank you for the info!" I called over my shoulder. 

     "Stay out of trouble!" one of them replied. 

      Little did they know, I came to this stupid town to create trouble!