Dreams

LUI'S POV:

A few weeks have passed since I moved in with Jeff and Toby. Even though Jeff can give me quite a headache at times, I thought we were getting along just fine. I know things will never go back to how our relationship was prior to....that night... but honestly, I'm okay with that.

Weird things have been happening to me lately, though. At times, I find myself waking up in random places I do not remember being. Or time just flied by. I remember it being morning, and in a wink of an eye it is already night time. Jeff and Toby do not seem at all affected. And even they begun acting weird around me, like I am a fragile piece of glass that may shatter at any time. And Jeff seems more cautious around me. But then a few moments later, he acts totally different. I'm also starting to hear voices. But I don't think it is a hallucination. The voice sounds familiar, and it is coming from behind me. Could I be possessed? Or am I just going crazy.

I didn't tell Jeff or Toby about this. I don't want to worry them. And knowing Jeff, he would definitely be worried. Like a mama bear, even though I am older than him. At least that was how he acted back then, like when he defended me from those bullies.

It was a particular sunny day today. Jeff was out who knows where, and Toby was taking a nap. I was bored out of my mind, so I grabbed a book that Toby stole for me and read under a tree outside. As my eyes were flitting across the pages of "Alice in Wonderland", birds were singing their songs above my head. For once, I found myself in peace. The canopy of the trees blocked direct sunlight from blinding me.

And then it happened again. The voices. I am sick and tired of hearing the voice. I didn't know at first, until I turned my head abruptly around. There was nothing. And then the feverish headache. I slammed my hand against my head, as if it would help, but in reality made it worse. "Shut up!" I muttered to myself. I winced in pain. The wind picked up a bit, subtly blowing my striped scarf. I dropped my book onto the ground, losing my spot in the process.

Toby came out of the house, spotting me right away. I was too engulfed in my pain to notice Toby approach me. He tapped me on the shoulder, taking me by surprise. I flinched away from his touch, putting my hands in front of me. "Are you okay?" When I looked up, a grimace was plastered on my friend's face. I shook my head. "Maybe you should get back inside?" Toby cautiously held onto my hand, pulling me up with him. I was guided into a seat in the kitchen, where Toby began making me a peanut butter sandwich. He offered it to me, and hesitantly I took it. "Eat." he instructed me. I obeyed almost robotically, taking small bites from the sandwich with one hand while clasping my head with the other hand. Toby looked concerned and after some time dashed across the kitchen, rummaging through a drawer. When he came back, he took my free hand away from pulling at my hair, dropping a pain killer in the palm of my shaky hand.

"I don't need it," I spoke quietly. I placed the drug onto the table. Toby shook his head, once again offering it to me. Nobody really understood. I don't know how many times I've tried taken a pain killer to ease the pain, but it never works. I am simply losing my mind. It kinda sucked that everyone under this roof is stubborn as hell, so if just to calm Toby down, I eventually gave in. But this did not mean the pain ended, nor the voice. When I was done eating, Toby took the seat next to me.

"You good now?" Toby asked kindly. I put on a fake smile as I replied,

"Yup." Toby gave me a friendly pat on the back.

"By the way, do you know where Jeff went?" I shook my head as I rested my head on the table.

"I think he went out killing." I shrugged my shoulders. I began to feel nauseous, and I felt sudden heat invade my body.

Toby observed me for a bit, tilting his head. "I think you need a nap." I agreed as I dragged my body down the stairs to my room. The moment my head hit the pillow, I was out like a light.

I rarely get dreams these days. But the one I had later that afternoon was so vivid, maybe I wasn't even dreaming at all. I was lying on my bed, the same one I was sleeping in. And then that voice came back. It started from behind me. The suddenness of it all caused me to jump up in fright. It began calling my name. "Liu, wakey wakey Liu!" The voice was deep and hoarse.

"What do you want?" I called out. The headache came back, and the pain felt so real. It wasn't just my head, the pain was everywhere.

The voice spoke back. Just one single word. "Kill."

And then a second word. "Jeff."

I shook my head. "No." Despite trying to hide my fear, my voice shook. The voice laughed, right in my ear.

"Your brother is pathetic. Kill him." In my dream, I saw myself shut my ears, trying to block out the voice. It was no use. I could still hear the voice like it came from within my very own core. The pain intensified, causing me to cry out in pain.

"Wake up!" The voice shouted.

"Wake up."

"Wake up!"

"Wake up!"

"Wake up!"

My eyes shot open. Just like in my dream, I was on my bed. But the voice no longer sounded like, well, whoever that voice belonged to. It sounded like my brother. And when I was finally able to grasp reality, I realized it actually was Jeff. He had his bloody hands wrapped around my shoulders, partially lifting me up. Toby was there too, waiting by the door.

"What happened?" My voice cracked.

"You were screaming in your sleep," Jeff sounded distressed.

"I was?" Both boys nodded.

"I'm sorry," My fingers raked through my hair.

"Don't apologize, Liu." Toby said, joining Jeff by my side.

I pushed Jeff's hands aside as I got off from my bed. I walked over to the kitchen, pouring myself a glass of water. When I looked outside, the sun had already began to set and some stars were present in the sky. I must have been sleeping a long time, even though it felt like minutes. Jeff and Toby padded into the kitchen as well, taking a seat at the table. "Anyone hungry?" Jeff asked. I shook my head, but Toby screamed "Yes!"

Jeff began making dinner. He took out three packages of instant noodles and boiled some water on a stove that looked like it would break soon. Despite my protests, I was given a bowl of noodles. In silence, we ate. The birds were no longer singing, and the atmosphere was replaced by the chirping crickets.

I offered to clean the dishes. As I did so, Toby wandered to his room while Jeff lied on the couch in the living room. When I placed the last bowl to its place in the cabinets, I began to hear screaming in the distance. I knew it wasn't that voice I am used to hearing, as it sounded like a woman.

"Do you hear that?" I asked Jeff as I entered the living room as well. The screaming was just a continuous disturbance. The screaming got closer and closer. Jeff nodded his head.

"I don't know what it is, but let's find out," Jeff said with a grin as he pulled out his knife.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: This chapter is just cringe.