Ch. 1 - The New York Tourist

It's been a month since I've moved to New York and you would think after getting a cute haircut, a nice, new place, and a job that literally will change my life, that I'd be super happy. But sadly, the nightmares are coming back. I try not to let Blaise know but he has an idea it has to do with my past. Blaise is a new friend of mine who was one of the ones who picked me as a candidate to be apart of Vogue magazine.

He's also a mutual friend with Elliott, a model with a family, Casey, the power crazed model with a girlfriend with no care for anyone but Casey and has threatened me before, and then there's Erika. A model who I thought I could love but it didn't go as planned. Sometimes I think about Erika. How she made me feel both physically and emotionally. But then I remember that she is still in love with her ex and the thoughts stop.

"You seriously need to see a doctor and get sleeping pills or something," Blaise says worriedly as he frowns into his coffee cup, sipping at it. The summer air is hotter here than in California but New York is a lot livelier. It keeps my mind busy and I feel like I enjoy it more here then back home.

The only thing I can't stop wondering is why Blaise drinks coffee in the middle of July but he is and it's making me hotter so I glug my water.

"Are you listening?" Blaise asks, his eyes frowning into mine.

"I don't believe in pills." I reply finally with a scowl at the thought. Mom used to take pills after the divorce to help her sleep and she turned out to be a nut.

"Well maybe you need to see a therapist?" He suggests. I know he isn't insulting me because he only wants to help. But I'm not keen on therapists either.

"I think not," I say. "Although your suggestions are helpful, I don't need it."

"Fine," Blaise catches me by surprise. "I guess the only thing you can do is come to me with your problems."

"Oh really now?" I ask and laugh aloud. He pouts jokingly. "I'm supposed to go to you for my problems?"

"And why not?" He huffs. "I've been told I'm a great listener."

"Yeah, you're funny." I laugh as we walk up to Central Park. There are so many trees, open grass, and a large center where people sit around. Blaise walks beside me cooly through the walk way in silence while I take in all that is in front of me.

"It's beautiful, Blaise." I smile thinking of how Rhode Island looked as a kid with tall trees and happy people. Back when there wasn't this kind of stress and the flowers that sit on the grass is worth smelling.

"It's one of my favorite spots but I don't take just anyone here." Blaise chuckles as we find a bench to sit on. He's such a flirt. I never realized until after the wok party how much of a flirt he really is despite being exclusive about his personality and way of communicating.

"I mean, there was this one time-" he stops and looks at me for a reaction and I roll my eyes. He laughs and nudges me. "Only kidding. I have other places in mind."

"And what are the other places do you have in mind for us?" I smirk as the breeze finally sets in.

"You'll have to pay the toll with your lips to figure that one out." Blaise laughs as I push him playfully, laughing care freely to the light breeze.

For once, the stresses are gone along with the pain I feel. They say for however long you've loved someone, it takes that long to get over them. However you say that, anyways.

So how long will my pain last?

"You hungry?" Blaise asks with a ghoulish smile. I frown, feeling uneasy with the idea.