Ch.5 - Erika's POV

One month before Mina's departure

I wake up feeling crappier today than yesterday. It's a lot harder to accept that Madelina may decide to leave for New York. I know I told Blaise last night that I don't want to get in the way of her career but I can't lose her. I finally have someone good in my life. Someone who understands me and my personality. Someone who forces me to be someone I'm not. Madelina is that person you want to keep and regret letting go.

After much thought, I pull out my phone and call Blaise. He answers after the fifth ring with a not so pleasant hello.

"Why are you calling me so early?" He asks and I run my fingers through my hair.

"I wanted to know if I could be apart of the interview when it's Madelina's turn." I feel nervous and weird for asking as he sighs and I hear him rustling around.

"I mean yeah, you can. But do you think that'll give you some closure?" He asks and I shake my head more to myself.

"I don't know honestly," I say and sit back on the couch. "I just need to see her before she goes. Maybe I can-"

"Absolutely not." He cuts me off and my eyes widen in surprise. "You don't get to say that you're not going to interfere with her career and then all of a sudden say you're going to try winning her back."

"But I've just realized that I need her, Blaise." I reply kind of weakly and he scoffs.

"Man, you had two months to decide between a psycho ex who's toying you and a perfectly sweet and innocent girl." Blaise counters. "I'll let you go to the interview and get whatever you want off your chest."

He's silent for a moment and then says, "but you have no right to hold her back for your own selfish needs." He hangs up the phone and I sit back, wondering what got into him. He's never gotten mad at me before.

I decide that I'll just with what I'm feeling when I see her. I can't promise anything with how I'll be; winning her back or not, but I'll make sure to let her know how I feel.

~~~~

I'm nervous and apprehensive when I show up before everyone for Madelina's interview. I see Blaise and Hana talking by one of the cubicles and glance over at me once. Hana makes some nod and looks back towards Blaise. I see Madelina's boss walking from out of her office with a Manila folder and notices me from afar.

"I didn't realize you were going to be part of the interview." She smiles as I nod my head.

"I won't be in the way or anything." I reply and she scoffs.

"Doubtful. You've been the only thing my star writer has been thinking about and it's been affecting her sleep and help." Her boss gives me a look as I frown, shocked. I hadn't noticed. I thought she looked good when I've seen her.

"Just keep your questions to a bare minimum please." She doesn't ask me and as much as that pisses me off, I just nod my head and follow her into the office we're going to interview Madelina in. Blaise and Hana follow, both on the other side of her boss and I sit quietly, staring at the clock.

It feels like an eternity has passed when Madelina finally opens the door. I keep my cool, staring at her impassively and watch as her eyes widen in surprise and her whole body going stiff. I can see her eyes shift to Blaise's and then back to me. She takes a seat and I can tell she's nervous. But more than that, I see she's determined and ready for the interview.