Ch.8 - Is It Really You?

I can't believe I finished it all. All the left over work is finally done and mom won't stop buzzing about lunch soon. I've been avoiding her calls and texts and just focus on work. But now that I have nothing to really stress over besides the next deadline that's not for another month, I have some free time.

I roll my shoulders and stretch, seeing it's already seven. I'm surprised Blaise didn't bother me again. I saw him leave with Hana somewhere but who knows what he had to do. I grab my purse and my file of this Dwight man and start to head out of the floor.

I feel my phone buzz and check to see who it is. I enter the elevator and unlock my phone.

"Hi, mom." I try to sound happy but I slump against the cool, steel wall and relax.

"Oh don't sound too excited to see me. I just wanted to ask if you're free for dinner tonight." She asks quickly, almost like she wanted to get this conversation over with and me to decline her offer.

"Yeah I'm free. I can meet you to a place now if you'd like." I suggest as the doors ping open. I step out and notice a blonde with a summer hat on, a pencil skirt, and blouse. Her heels thunder down the lobby as she approaches the lobby secretary and talks softly.

"Meet me at the plaza hotel, they have a restaurant I've been dying to try since we got here." Mom chimes as I keep my attention on the girl. Her blonde hair is covering her face even as I walk out of the door.

"I'll be there in twenty minutes." I hang up the phone and take one last glance at the woman before hailing a taxi and taking it to the hotel.

~~~~

"Over here, darling." Mom waves me down from her table before I can ask the host. I give a curt nod and walk straight to her.

She doesn't stand to greet me. She extends her hand out and smiles in an angelic way as I take my seat. We place our joined hands on the table, like two people agreeing to a peace treaty.

"How are you? How was work?" Mom asks as I just smile and release her hand. She places it back on her lap and looks at me intently, the same green eyes as mine.

"Fine. Why are you and Ray here for so long, it's almost the end of the week." I add as she shrugs and let's out a sigh.

"Ray had more business to tend to." She simply explains as I frown but don't go further into that conversation.

"How are you liking New York?" She asks. I swear, too many people care about this place. I just shrug as the waiter comes by to give us wine.

"I've ordered us food already." She smiles as I muster up a smile.

"I'll be back, I have to use the restroom." I stand as she sips, rather gulps, her wine, waving me off to use the restroom.

I hurry to the restroom and use it quickly, without much thought. I glance at myself and fix my hair and eyes. As I step out of the room, pushing the door open. I feel it lighter than usual. Someone's pulling the door from behind. But not just anyone.

Her.

My eyes widen as I glance up at Erika. Is it really you?

"Erika?"

"Madelina?"

Holy fuck. When she says my full name, my heart pounds and I can't help but blush. She's as bewildered as me. She's hot with blonde hair.

"You're blonde." I comment.

"You cut your hair." She counters. I gulp as we stand in the doorway.

"I have to go." I hurry past her but she grabs my elbow. The force yanks me backward and I feel her push me into the wall. Her hands don't close me in but I feel too constricted. I feel cornered.