Ch.19 Five Years Later

"Grandma! Grandma!" Xavier calls out to Erika's mom as she gets something small to eat. "Watch me do a cartwheel!"

"Xavier," Erika says and laughs. "Don't overwhelm gram's."

"Ok," he says disappointedly but she waves Erika off.

"Show me your moves, kid!" Erika's mother laughs as I watch with Clarke from a distance. Dad is grilling on the barbecue, mom is making more drinks, and all of Xavier's friends play around the pool.

"Who would have thought that you two would have had a kid and not just anyone's, but Blaise's." Clarke shakes his head. "And I'm the uncle."

"Yeah, but I'm the ultimate uncle," Blaise says, holding a beer in hand and stares at Xavier. Xavier looks like the both of us except he has Blaise's eyes. I look over at Erika as Xavier tugs on her hand to play.

"But mom!" Xavier exaggerates to her as Erika scolds him for pulling.

"That's my cue," I say and walk over to the both of them. The love of my life and our beautiful boy.

"Mommy! Mom won't play tag with me!" He pouts and I laugh.

"You have all your friends to play tag with though," I say, kneeling down. "And mom is tired from all the running she's done today."

"But it's more fun with you guys," he says with a pout and when I look up at a Erika, she smiles and winks at me.

"Then you better get running because we're coming to get you!" I smile as he giggles loudly and runs away. Erika runs after him and soon, the kids join in on the fun. I never knew my life would be so complete with friends and family when I thought I'd be so content alone. If I hadn't met Erika, I wouldn't have built such connections with the people I have today or even have Xavier. I'm grateful for the things that have happened but I certainly won't want to repeat it.

I'm just glad I'm here with my family and nothing or anyone can get in the way of my happiness any longer.