Introverted teammate, Part 1 - Lonley (Natasha)

Summary: This series is going to be about how Natasha changed when she started dating you. This specific part is about when you met her and how the team completely forgot about her.
———————————————————————————
Before Natasha started dating you, she was quiet and reserved. She would never leave her room unless necessary and was as quiet as a mouse when she did. She was there to do her job, not share cheesy dad jokes or tell everyone her life story. Everyone else at the compound caught her drift and decided it would be best to leave her alone. She was looked over, forgotten about. Oftentimes she felt left out, separate from team conversations. But that's sort of what she wanted. The issue wasn't that she didn't want to relax, put her feet up, or have a drink. Even if she tried, she wouldn't be able to actually relax due to the fact that she felt like she needed to put up constant walls when she was around her teammates. Her vision of relaxing was very different from the rest of the teams.

One thing was that Natasha was extremely introverted and hated when she would have to strike up small talk about the weather or politics, with the people she saw everyday. She thought it was stupid. She figured, 'Why talk about the weather, when everyone already knows about it. Why waste your time'. She would much rather talk about things with deeper meanings like, 'Are ghosts real?' or 'Is there life on other planets?' or even just her favorite conspiracy theories. Believe it or not, there's a lot to choose from.

Natasha meant business. She had never really gotten the chance to open up to someone before. She didn't think anyone would ever understand her case. That anyone would ever understand that she hated talking about hobbies, or asking stupid questions like, 'What's your favorite color?'. She had accepted the fact that no one understood her, or took the time to anyway.

Then you came along.

When you joined the Avengers, and moved into the compound, you had not yet gotten to really know anyone on the team. This meant that you hadn't realized that Natasha was pretty much ignored and spent most of the time alone. When you moved in you took it upon yourself to try and get to know the people you were living with, but quickly caught on how Romanoff was never around. In fact you had yet to have seen the women in person.You weren't sure why.

One day, a couple days after you moved in, you and the rest of the team were sitting in the living room just joking around having a conversation, when Natasha walked into the kitchen that was along the back wall. You almost didn't notice her. Her footsteps were light and she was gentle when placing a glass onto the counter to avoid any attention drawn to her. The light sound of the tap running caught your attention as you turned around to see what it was. When you turned your head, cranking your body a bit to get a better view, the first thing you noticed was the fiery red hair that was attached to the women in front of you. Her back was still facing you as she filled her glass up with more water.

She turned around, still not noticing you and faced you while placing her now full glass of water on the counter in front of her. She reached down to grab something from the drawer near the ground disappearing behind the counter. When she emerged she had in her hands a pack of gushers.

She held the glass of water in one hand and the pack of gushers in the other. She lifted her head a little to look towards the living room making sure she was still left unnoticed, when her eyes met with yours.

That's when you realized their color. They were completely different in person. Emerald green eyes locked with yours and you were stuck in a trance. You stared for a moment before planting a small and innocent smile on your face. Her cheeks went a little red as she blushed lightly. Then trying not to disrupt her too much, you turned your head and body back to the conversation happening in front of you. When you turned your head back around a minute later to see if she was still there, you were met with an empty kitchen.

Tony seemed to notice how your attention was elsewhere and felt the need to acknowledge it.

"Oh, yeah, don't mind Natasha, she's just coming out of hibernation to eat all our gushers", Tony said almost apologetically. As if he was ashamed that she had caused a distraction during their conversation.

As everyone in the room broke into heavy laughter at his joke, you couldn't help but furrow your eyebrows. "That's the first time I've seen her all week?" You said questionly. "Yeahhhhh... She doesn't really do the whole... Small talk thing." Sam added. "Just here for the free gushers... MY free gushers, but I'm afraid I'm too scared of her to tell her that." Thor joked again, saying that the last part a little quieter. Everyone laughed again, when you broke the silence with a serious tone. "Does she know who I am?" You were met with silence and confused looks. You started putting the pieces together. "Did anyone even tell her I was here?" Again you were met with silence as people started looking around at each other trying to think of something to say. You started getting frustrated. "So you're telling me... That none of you have spoken to her in the last week?" You slowly said with disappointment. You started to smile in disbelief. "Did anyone even invite her to come talk with us?" Again you were met with silence. "Wooooooow... (Owen Wilson style. Sorry I just, I had to) Are you serious?" You said, shaking your head in amazement. "I mean, she usually says no, so we just stopped asking." Wanda said. "If I'm being completely honest... I completely forgot". Clint said.

You just sat with your jaw wide open for a moment. You closed your jaw and lightly nodded your head, you were no longer in the mood to sit and talk like everything was a-okay. "Okay. Well, im... gonna- im gonna go, ummmm, feel free to keep chit chatting" You said waving your hands to add emphasis to the words 'chit chatting'. You quickly left the room before anyone could say anything.

Some may think that the speed at which your mood changed was unreasonable, however if they were there in that room at that moment, people would begin to realize why you were so upset.

Everyone at the compound treated each other like family. They all talked openly about anything that happened throughout their day. People would hug each other, some would cuddle on the couch. They were all so close to each other.

Another part of it was that as far as the public was concerned the Avengers treated each other like family, ALL the Avengers were treated like family. It was only once you were on the inside that you saw through their operation. They treated Natasha like a tool. One that sat in the box in the garage forgotten about, until you suddenly needed a wrench.

Disappointed, you could only think about one thing. It didn't matter if she always said no, it's the thought that counts. And clearly, no one else on the team had thought about her. It didn't matter if she was mean or weird. It's still rude to invite everyone in your class, except the weird kid, to your party.

From that moment on, you couldn't get her out of her mind. Knowing and relating to what it felt like to be left out, not even invited, you made it a point to never forget to include her.

You wanted to give her your attention.

You wanted to make her feel necessary and important.

You wanted to try.
———————————————————————————
Oof, this was rough. Sorry about that. This is the beginning of a multi part story, so more will be on the way. Sorry it took so long for me to update, if i'm being completely honest I wasn't really in the mood to write these past days, but I tried. I've also just been really busy with summer work because the first day of school is tomorrow. With school this could either go one of two ways. Either I'll post really often because I have some study halls, or I'll just post kind of like I have been, so we'll see where this one goes. Thank you to the people who voted on my last stories, btw it's really motivational, so THANK YOU!!!