Nervous (Wanda)

What people think when you tell them you are joining the Avengers is how you'll get to tag along during important missions, spending your days fighting, and your nights alone in your apartment. They picture a statue of yourself made as a sign of sacrifice or hard work. They imagine you lying in the dirt during an important intel mission for days, only taking breaks to take a piss and share your rationed food.

What they fail to imagine, and what even you yourself failed to imagine is the normalcy that sometimes reluctantly squeezes its way into your life. From cooking dinner to folding laundry, surprisingly, none of it miraculously disappears just because you have an important job to do.

And for some goddamn reason, nobody realizes that this job requires you to live on site with the rest of the team. Every time this small detail makes its way to light, people don't even take a deep breath before expressing their surprise and genuine interest at the fact. People always ask, "What's Tony's lab like in real life?!?" or "Is Natasha just as cold hearted as she seems?" but the truth is, life is just the same as it was before, the only real difference is how you don't need to worry about rent... well, as long as you do your job.

Right now, sitting alone in bed, you can't help the boredom that so desperately wants some attention. Trying to disarm it, you read. Then you watch a show. Then you fold your laundry. You find ways to try tricking your mind into believing it's entertained so hard that by the time you're ready to face it head on and acknowledge its persistent existence, you've worked up an appetite. Walking into the living area and kitchen, the unusual quiet atmosphere catches your attention. Strange, but not unwelcome. Seeing the prep of dinner left out on the granite counter tops Tony insisted on installing, you can't help but express a sense of confusion. Peppers thinly sliced sat on the surface, cut so precisely it didn't take long to realize who had done it. Tomatoes, cilantro, jalapenos, paired with simple salt and pepper lay motionless and uniform, waiting to be combined into something more. Almost all of the pieces to this puzzle were so painfully presented in front of you, yet you were unable to put them together without seeing the final picture.

Taking a few steps closer, the familiar burn in your eyes confirmed one of the many thoughts clouding your head. An almost completely diced Spanish onion rested gently on a cutting board waiting to be finished. Neighboring it was none other than the sharpest chef knife present in the kitchen. It was then, once you had noticed its incomplete presence that you found her.

You had had your eyes on the girl for a long time. Since moving in with her and the rest of the team, it was hard not to notice. Your little gay heart, so confident in yourself, yet so afraid of rejection. You were completely unable to do anything about your feelings. There were plenty of perfect opportunities, from movie nights where the two of you cuddled close under a shared blanket, to rainy days spent in each other's company quietly reading or completing work. You liked her so much, but not knowing if she liked you back in that way was enough to deter you from doing anything about it.

You found her sitting still on the floor, her back to the kitchen cabinets beneath the sink. Her head lay between her knees while her elbows rested above them providing leverage for her hands. Wanda didn't notice you were there. Either it was because of your quiet footsteps or because she was trying her best to distract herself with any thought imaginable. Finally putting the pieces together, you were close enough to notice the red hugh tinting the blank section of the cutting board. Was she hurt?

Before you even had confirmed the thought, you quickly sprung into action.

"Hey, you okay Wands?" The pet name was something that just slipped out at this point. It wasn't the first time you had said it, but the ease at which it left your lips almost made you smile. Her head lifted from her legs, but her eyes remained closed, her head facing straight forward. It was then that you noticed the pale color of her face. Before waiting for her answer, you sat at her side facing her with concern. Her lack of response only worrying you more.