Chapter 6

(Tony's Pov)

I was in my workshop, having Dum-E help me get out of my suit after returning from saving those civilians from Gulmira.

It was not easy getting out of this suit though, since it was painful getting out of it. I kept struggling despite Jarvis telling me not to but I couldn't help it. I continued to struggle until I heard Pepper's voice.

"What's going on here?"

I turned my head to see Pepper standing by, with Hope right beside her

Shit.

Pepper wasn't supposed to see me in this. Hope already knew so I wasn't worried

I stayed quiet for a couple of seconds until I decided to joke with her

"Let's face it. This is not the worse thing you've caught me doing."

"I've seen worse" Hope said with a smirk, knowing what I was trying to do

"Are those bullet holes?" Pepper spoke, seeing as she is still shocked about what I'm doing.

Yep, this was gonna be a long night.

The next day, I was in the middle of fixing my suit when I heard Pepper enter my workshop, I turn to face her

"Hey. you busy?" I asked. She shook her head a little as I continue

"You mind if I send you on an errand? I need you to go to my office. You're going to hack into the mainframe and you're going to retrieve all the recent shipping manifests. This is the lock chip." I said as I handed her the chip.

"This'll get you in. It's probably under Executive Files. If not, they put it on a ghost drive, in which case you need to look for the lowest numeric heading. Bring Hope with you, she'll help you be a lookout in case of any security." I ordered as I turned away from her to take look into my other devices

"And what do you plan to do with this information if we bring it back here?"

"Same drill. They've been dealing under the table, and I'm going to stop them. I'm going to find my weapons and destroy them."

"Tony," she pauses. "you know that I would help you with anything, but I cannot help you if you're going to start all of this again. Hope doesn't need this right now."

I argue as I turn to face her "There is nothing except this. There's no art opening. There is no benefit. There is nothing to sign. There is the next mission and nothing else."

"Is that so?" she asks as she takes a deep breath before saying something that I never expected from her.

"Well, then, I quit." she tosses the chip before turning away from me, walking towards the door.

"You stood by my side all of these years while I reaped the benefits of destruction".

She stops to turn around to face me. I continue

"You've helped me raise my daughter even though you didn't have to. And now that I'm trying to protect the people that I put in harm's way, you're going to walk out?"

"You're going to kill yourself, Tony. I'm not going to be a part of it. Hope shouldn't be a part of this either. How do you think Hope's gonna feel once she finds out that you died from doing this. She would be very devastated."

I sat in my chair after hearing her mention my daughter's name. I know that this would hurt Hope, but I need to do this. Not only to protect the people but both her and Pepper.

I try to explain to Pepper "I shouldn't be alive, unless it was for a reason.

I'm not crazy Pepper, I just finally know what I have to do. And I know from my heart that it's right.