5

Part 5
of
Happier Than Ever

the wedding
pt.1

☽✳︎

☽✳︎

THE GROUP OF FOUR entered the building, looking at everyone who had surrounded them.

"Oh, a lot of big game here tonight" Schmidt excitedly spoke, eyeing a girl who had just passed them. He continued to glance around before landing his eye's on another female, "Oh my gosh, that's Brooke."

Winnie curiously looked over Nick's shoulder and saw the blonde girl he was mentioning.
"Who's Brooke?" She asked, looking back at him.

"He's been into her since Freshman year" Nick answered, "She used to get drunk and pass out on our porch. It was like having a hot alcoholic cat."

"I used to leave water out for her" Schmidt continued, causing Winnie's expression to turn amused.

Nick held up his arm for Winnie and she took it sincerely, giving him a subtle wink as he walked with her outside.

"Look at my new boyfriend" Winnie joked, turning to face him and fix his tie. "It's not even a clip on! I'm so proud of you." She smiled, earning an eye roll in response.

"Would you please stop," He responded, keeping his eyes on the crowd as if he was looking for someone.

"Oh, I see" Winnie nodded, placing her hands back to her sides, "Caroline is here so you have to act all tough and serious, huh?"

"No- just" Nick stuttered, finally meeting her eyes, "Just focus on getting through today."

"Whatever you say, 'Nick the Charmer'" Winnie smiled, locking their hands together.

Nick looked down at their interlocked hands as Winnie made her way through the crowd, making sure she was adding some sway to her hips as she did so.

Winnie took a seat in an open chair and swiftly pulled Nick into the open one next to her. His eyes were still motioned to their hands, but once she had cleared her throat, he awkwardly looked away.

"There she is, there she is" He quickly brought his attention back to Winnie, looking more panicked than she ever saw him.

He attempted to stand up but Winnie had hurriedly grabbed onto his jacket, pulling him back into the seat.

"Stop it, be cool" Winnie encouraged, noticing Caroline making her way over to them.

"Hey" The girl greeted, watching as Winnie hugged on his arm, softly placing her head on his shoulder.

"Uhm, hey!" Nick awkwardly laughed out, "I didn't know you were gonna be here!"

"Hello," Winnie sweetly smiled, holding out her hand, "I'm Winnie"

"Caroline" She spoke back, shortly shaking Winnie's hand.

"Cara-lee?" Winnie purposely butchered, making her accent even thicker than it already was.

"Uh, Caroline" She awkwardly corrected.

"Oh, beautiful name!" Winnie responded, looking back towards Nick, "How do you two know each other?" She played dumbly, watching Caroline's face slightly fall.

"We had, we had dated" She answered, eyeing the two of them, "How do you two know each other?" She asked back curiously.

"Oh!" Winnie smiled lovingly towards Nick, "I'm actually his girlfriend. It's recent." Winnie responded, looking back over to Caroline's face.

She looked momentarily between Nick and Winnie before placing a fake smile back onto her face, "Well it was lovely meeting you," She waved, already turning around.

"You as well" Winnie called, waving back towards the girl.

The two watched as Caroline made her way back to her seat, slyly looking back at them every once in awhile.

"Oh my God is she jealous, she's totally jealous."

"Well duh, I nailed that shit" Winnie shrugged, placing her head back onto his shoulder,

          "Don't doubt me, Mr. Charmer."

☽✳︎

Part 5
of
Happier Than Ever