6

Part 6
      of
       Happier Than Ever

wedding
pt.2

☽✳︎

☽✳︎

WINNIE COULD BARELY hear a word anyone was saying. The music was blaring into her ears and she was starting to believe that she would lose her hearing entirely by the end of the night.

Nick was mindlessly playing with his food as Winnie observed the new area. Her face had a small smile as she watched Schmidt talking to Brooke, the girl he had supposedly been obsessed with since Freshman year.

Winnie's eyes continued to scan the room before landing on Carolines. She was staring directly at them, not trying to hide it what-so-ever.

Winnie glanced back to Nick and decided to continue her role as his new girlfriend. She softly placed her hand on the side of his face as her other roamed to his hand.

"What are you doing?" He asked, feeling her thumb brush against his cheek.

"She's watching" Winnie whispered before laughing, acting as if he had said something funny to her.

Nick glanced behind him to see Caroline wave at them. "If she comes over here, I wanna talk to her by myself" He spoke, looking back to Winnie.

"Isn't that what I'm supposed to be stopping you from doing?" Winnie asked, noticing Caroline coming over.

"Stop, I'll be fine" He responded, removing her hand from his cheek.

"Hello, again" Caroline spoke, looking between them. Nick looked back at Winnie, pleading her to go away at this moment. Winnie looked at him and then up to Caroline.

"If you could excuse me, I have to go freshen up" Winnie sourly stated, shooting Nick a look before standing up. "I'll be back in a few minutes."

Winnie stepped away from her seat, watching as Caroline immediately claimed it as her own. As the two began to chat, Winnie made her way to the corner of the room, watching the too talk from a distance.

It only took two minutes before Winston and Schmidt made there way up to the girl, looking at her almost furiously.

"Winnie, what did you do?" Winston deadpanned, pointing to Caroline and Nick.

"You had one job, literally only one" Schmidt spoke, "How'd you mess it up so badly?!"

"They're fine, they are just talking?" Winnie shrugged, watching the two converse at the table.

"No no no no." Winston dramatically gasped, "With Caroline, he is not fine."

"She will flirt with him until she knows she can have him" Schmidt pointed out, Winston nodded in agreement. "It's like he is her back up plan."

"That's- that's really bitchy" She commented, watching Caroline twirl her hair flirtatiously. "Okay, okay. Be right back."

Winnie pushed herself off the wall and made her way back to the table, sending Caroline a sweet smile. "I'm bac-"

"I'm actually going to get a drink" Caroline cut her off.

"Oh yeah, me too" Nick nodded, beginning to walk away from Winnie.

"Wait, no" Winnie sassed, pulling him back, "This isn't what you want"

"No, this is exactly what I want" Nick smiled, looking back at Caroline, "I may finally have a chance with her and it's all because of you"

"Oh please don't say that" Winnie huffed, "At least blame it on Schmidt or something."

Nick shook his head and pointed to Winnie before heading to the bar where Caroline waited for him.

Winnie looked back at Schmidt and Winston and they shooed there hands, motioning her to go after him again.

Winnie sighed and looked back towards the bar, seeing that him and Caroline were now gone.

"For fucks sake"

Winnie made her way through the crowd, looking at each person carefully. She had hoped when she found the two, that they weren't doing anything that would scar her mentally.

As she turned the corner, Winnie had noticed the flashes of a photo booth going off, along with Nick's laugh.

Winnie rushed over to the booth and ripped open the curtain, causing Caroline to jump out of her seat.

"I would like a moment with Nick, please" Winnie spoke, glaring at the two.

"Nothing happened" Caroline rushed out, quieting Nick before he could even speak.

"And I should believe that after I've noticed your eyes on him all night?"

"No, really, nothing happened," she clarified, "I have a boyfriend."

At her words, both Winnie and Nick paused. Winnie glanced down to him and noticed the heartbreak written on his face.

"a boyfriend?" He spoke to himself, though Winnie had heard it.

"I think you should go," Winnie said, glancing at the girl, "You've done enough, you should go."

"Right." Caroline cleared her throat, looking back at Nick for only a second, before making her way past Winnie.

"A boyfriend?" His voice cracked, looking up at Winnie,
       "Of course she has a boyfriend."

☽✳︎

Part 6
      of
       Happier Than Ever