19

Part 19
of
Happier Than Ever

Part 19      of        Happier Than Ever

☽✳︎

NICK NEVER CAME HOME that night and Winnie had never went to bed. Instead, she had stayed up, sat on the couch, and stared at the door he had supposedly went through hours before, hoping that in any moment he would come home.

However, at 8PM, when the door had finally been knocked on, Winnie wasn't expecting who was on the other side of it.

"Caroline?" She asked, eyeing the woman who stood in front of her.

Caroline smiled at Winnie, holding up a familiar jacket in her hand. "Sorry, I know that Nick is at work right now, but he left his jacket at my apartment." She explained, handing it to Winnie.

"He was at your apartment?" Winnie tilted her head, feeling her chest grow heavy at her words, "When, uhm, why?" She breathed out.

"Oh, last night... this morning. You know," She laughed out, "Just to talk."

"About?"

"Nothing important," Caroline responded, "He was just drunk and upset, needed someone to be there for him."

"And where did you say he is now?" Winnie questioned, looking down at his jacket.

"Uhm," She thought for a moment, "Went to work a few hours ago, I'm sure he should be back whenever"

"Right"

☽✳︎

It had taken a total of 30 minutes for Nick to get back to 4D since Caroline had left. During that time, Winnie sat on her bed and held the jacket, wondering if anything else had happened between the two of them the night before.

Winnie's thoughts were put to a rest as shuffling could be heard outside of her room, indicating that Nick was finally home and heading to his own section of the apartment. Quickly, Winnie had stood up and opened her door, watching as Nick stopped his actions and turned to her.

"Hey" He awkwardly greeted, clearing his throat.

"Caroline stopped by" She shortly responded.

Nick had then seen his missing jacket in her hand.

"She wanted to drop this off for you, since y'know, you left it there when you slept over." She casually said, tossing him the jacket, "Goodnight"

With that, Winnie shut the door before he could respond, taking some duct tape and putting it between the door and wall, knowing that in actuality it would do nothing. She made her way to her bed and laid down, watching as his feet's shadow loomed right outside her door. She was waiting to hear a knock... or even her name, but instead she heard a sigh and footsteps leading away from her room.

In some way, that clarified her previous thoughts about what might've went down between Caroline and Nick.

Again, she was wrong.

And she didn't know that until Nick had barged into her room, staring right at her.

"When I was thirteen years old, I once made love to myself behind a post office." He started, causing Winnie's eyebrows to rise. She wasn't expecting that to be the first thing he said. "When I was nine years old I fed cereal flakes to a frog and it died. There was... even a time when I had fed cereal flakes to all the animals, and they loved them!  When I was ten, I walked into my mom's room when she was sleeping and put a lemon in her mouth. When I was eleven, I once tried on my girl cousin's wool tights and I didn't hate the way it felt!"

"Why are you telling me these things?" Winnie questioned, rubbing her eyes to stay awake.

"Because I am admitting things that I have always kept to myself, feelings that I need to let out!" Nick basically shouted, pacing through her room, "And I was upset, so upset to think that you and Schmidt had done more than kiss in that room yesterday AND I was upset to be so worked up about it when we aren't even dating" Nick admitted, speaking quickly, "And I hate that we aren't because I like you, Winnie, I really do!"

☽✳︎

Part 19
of
Happier Than Ever